Do snails carry fish parasites?

All about problems that might arise from keeping snails, fish and plants together.
Only members can post here...

Moderator: Board moderators

Do snails carry fish parasites?

Postby guzzijason on Mon Dec 22, 2003 4:10 am

Well, I have a sad story... and a question:

A couple months ago, I brought home some nice new angelfish. Unbeknownst to me, they had parasites, and within about a week or so, all fish were dead. All of em. By the time I realised what was happening, it was too late. I'm not totally sure what struck them, but I think it may have been velvet, or something similar. All the fish had tiny spots all over them - it sort of made them look like sandpaper. Very sad!

Fortunately, the snails did not seem to be affected by any of this.

So, if I were to try and re-establish some fish, is there any chance that the snails could be harboring parasites? As I mentioned before, the fish died off some time ago, and from what I've read, most parasites can't live very long without finding a host. Would it be safe to put these snails with new fish, or should I consider them "damaged goods" and keep them separate?

Well... at least I learned a couple of lessons from this:

1. Always use a quarantine tank w/ new fish.
2. Never buy from big chain stores (in this case, the angels came from Petco).

Lesson learned. The hard way.

__Jason
guzzijason
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby MRSQ on Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:49 am

sounds like they all died from ich,,, white spots that look like grains of salt. If your snails are still alive then they are likely fine, why not try treating your tank with something like Melafix (won't hurt the biological bacteria or your snails) just to be sure? Up the temp in your tank a bit to speed up the lifecycle of any ich that may be lurking, then in a couple of days it will be free floating in the water the Melafix can kill it.... can't hurt... good luck Melafix is fairly inexpensive and should only take seven days to cure anything nasty that may be in there. :snail: ang
5 GALLON-BETTA \ TEN GALLON-GUPPIES\ 25 GALLON- PASSIVE TROPICALS, MIX SNAILS\ 33 GALLON-GOURAMIES, BRIDGS, FROGS, NERITES,MARISAS \ 45 GALLON-GOLDFISH, CANAS \ 55 GALLON-SENEGAL BICHIR, MOLLIES\ 75 GALLON-OSCAR, TINFOIL BARBS
MRSQ
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby nannasmom on Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:49 pm

If it was Ick (or most any parasite), you could eliminate any cysts by slowly raising the level of salt in your tank to 1 tsp. per gallon of water (over several days). Your snails will tolerate the salt as long as you raise the level over the course of several days. Salt will kill most fish related parasites. Ick cysts live in your tank waiting for a fish host. I'm not sure how long they can stay in your tank as cysts (they have a definite life cycle), but the salt should get rid of lingering parasites.
After raising the salt level in the tank, you can always lower it after it's been several days if you don't want to maintain it at that level.
nannasmom
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby iTZKooPA on Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:34 pm

I love Petco and Petsmart but no matter where you go you have a risk of getting parasites and such. They are hard to detect if they are just festering. You could have had the parasite all along and the angelfish was just the right host to get its life cycle kick-started. As for snails housing parasites, yes they do, and some of them actually transfer to humans but don't worry about that, its pretty much seclduded to Africa (the human transport one).

Its not really the CHAINSTORES that are the problems but the people who work there. I have a local petstore that is horrible beacause they know nothing about aquatic life, mostly bird/reptile people but they still have a wide selection of fish. The Petco nearby has a vastly superior selection and every Fish person their knew what they we talking about. The local store didn't even tell me that the fish I had just bought only eats other fish or fish fins, he quickly died because the angelfish (being the aggresive fish they are) simply beat him back when he was attacked, the goldfish was 5x his size and the catfish shark is also very defensive, so he didn't eat anything. If I had known I would have bought some feeder fish...

My goldfish seems to have Ich, but when I asked people at various petstores they said it probably isn't because my other fish are swimming around fine. The goldfish has white spots on him and some of them seems to turn into thin white strings. Any ideas? They gave me medicine and I started the treatement (kills snails and plants though so I had to move them).
iTZKooPA
Leading snail
Leading snail

Return to Apple snails, fish and plants...