Pomacea in EU

The effects of an apple snail invasion can be devastating for the natural habitat, food production etc. <BR>In these cases population control is necessary...

Moderator: Board moderators

Pomacea in EU

Postby wolf1 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:38 pm

Hi,
the following link might be of some interest.
Kind regards: wolf
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/Lex ... 017:EN:PDF
wolf1
Parent snail
Parent snail

Re: Pomacea in EU

Postby pbgroupie on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:20 pm

It sounds like they are becoming as serious about the Pomacea as the US has. But they are not marking a difference between the different types of pomacea such as canaliculata or diffusa. We had that same problem when they banned the shipping of all pomacea here without a permit.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby wolf1 on Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Japs, all species of the genus Pomacea are affected (not Pila or other genera of the family Ampullariidae). Some institutions in Europe were asked meanwhile for detailed informations, f.e. concerning restrictions for private keepers of Pomacea. Some dealers have already taken Pomacea out of their stock.
Here´s another link for background informations:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/c ... ntent=html
wolf1
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Helikulo on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:52 pm

I've seen the text in French, as far as France is concerned, and you are right that this only concerns pomacea (albeit all species); however I've not seen any Marisas since the ban came into force which are not exactly common here but you can usually get them. I'm very sad that most places seem to think this concerns all apple snails. Even if shops are wrong to think that, we can no longer get them here.

:dance: Obviously this is just my opinion, but the snails cannot survive here most of the year, except in captivity so it's very sad for me because I've had apple snails since the 1990s and now I can't get them any more, including marisas :cry:
_@" _@" _@"
Helikulo
Member snail
Member snail

Postby jonfr on Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:57 pm

I am living in Denmark (at the border with Germany). I want to start having snails again in the future. I just don't know yet when I can afford to buy a new aquarium for this. I take the EU laws on this that they have also banned import of Pomacea diffusa into the EU.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby wolf1 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:40 am

Hi,
true enough, since all species of the genus Pomacea are banned (but only genus Pomacea), the species Pomacea diffusa is banned, too, of course.
wolf1
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby jonfr on Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:16 pm

I did send a question to the EU Comission on this matters. Since I am living in a cold enough country (Denmark) that this species (Pomacea diffusa) of snail would not surive the winter. It takes few days until I get answer. I am going to communicate the answer here once I have it.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Return to Population control / pest alert