Loaches with Snails

All about taking care of your snail.
Food, temperature, water quality etc.
Only registered users can post here...

Moderator: Board moderators

Loaches with Snails

Postby sssfrs on Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:08 am

the general consensus on loaches seems to be that they will eat snails if kept in the same tank. does anyone know if this is true with all species of loach? has anyone had any experience successfully keeping loaches and snails together without them eating each other?
sssfrs
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Loaches with Snails

Postby Steph on Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:10 pm

I kept three yoyo loaches for several years in the same tank as a lot of (pest) MTS snails, and I don't think the loaches could get through the MTS's thick shells. Much to my dismay.

For a little while (like a month or three), I also had a bunch of juvinile apple snails in that tank with the loaches, and I didn't observe any snails getting eaten... but it was a lot of snails so it's possible some got ate without my noticing.

Honestly though, I'd stick with the consensus and keep my snails and loaches in separate tanks. If you search the forums here, you'll find plenty of examples of snails getting injured or worse by bitey tank-mates.
Steph
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Re: Loaches with Snails

Postby pbgroupie on Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:04 pm

Any serpentine loach is fine with snails. Khuli, dojo, brown/black all fall into this category and I've had them for years with no issues. HTH
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Return to Snail care