New tank, sick snail - more help needed

All about taking care of your snail.
Food, temperature, water quality etc.
Only registered users can post here...

Moderator: Board moderators

New tank, sick snail - more help needed

Postby laurablue on Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi! Snail newbie here; thanks in advance! My golden mystery snail, Sonic, has been half open ever since I moved him and his 2 fish friends to a new tank this weekend. I've been reading through all the posts and I realize that I did not handle things as well as I should have :-( I transferred some of the old water, all the old rocks and plants without rinsing them, but I didn't save the old filter so now I don't have an old filter to squeeze out. PetSmart has said that my water is 'perfect' yet my poor Sonic is doing nothing but hanging half out of his shell. I tried putting him on a plate last night and he poked his siphon and feelers out but that was it.
I just tested the water with a test strip:
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
Hardnes - 150
Chlorine - 0
KH - 120
pH - 7.4

I see in earlier posts where Nitrate or Nitrite (which one?) should be 20.. how do i get it there?

I could try moving him to a new 'tank' but all i have is an empty glass fishbowl and my old heater, which still works (the 2-5gal size). Should I treat some water and try this? Does he need the heater? I have betta water conditioner - is that OK or should I go buy some Prime?

I appreciate any help! I am so sad about poor Sonic and feel really guilty since he was happy happy in his old tank but now that environment is completely gone. My two fish - a guppy and a tetra - seem happy, as far as I can tell.... Thank you!
laurablue
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: New tank, sick snail - more help needed

Postby pbgroupie on Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:40 pm

Welcome to the forum! One reading you didn't give was the first in the cycle, ammonia. If you understand anything about the cycle (and we have some lengthy posts about it here) fish/snail waste creates ammonia. The good bio bugs (bacteria) break it down into nitrites, and other good bio bugs break that down into nitrates. Ideally you want 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and up to 20 ppm nitrates. That's when you know your tank has cycled properly.

My suggestion is to go to your local fish store (or online) and get Seachum's Prime. It will neutralize the toxins in ammonia and nitrites, but still allow the tank to complete the cycling process.

You should see improvement in your snail but if things don't seem to work, do a search on this site for ammonia poisoning and follow the instructions. Please let us know if we can answer any other questions.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Return to Snail care