Getting back to raising snail babies!

All about taking care of your snail.
Food, temperature, water quality etc.
Only registered users can post here...

Moderator: Board moderators

Getting back to raising snail babies!

Postby SavannahsMommy on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:59 pm

Wow! It is great to see this sites still up and running. I was a member about five years ago. I had the three of the most beautiful golden apple snails purchased from a user on this site. I was also raising blues. It was so fun to watch them hatch and take care of them. I was so disappointed that I could not remember the email address or my user name was. I also use to raise guppies. I was going thru a bitter divorce, and devastated when my husband took my aquarium and all my babies! By the time it came to court, he informed the judge that all of my guppies and snails were dead :( all he returned was an empty acquarium :(

Well now I have two real babies Savannah age 8 months born 08-08-08 and a second little girl on the way that will be here August 3rd!
Savannah just loved all of the fish at the pet store, so I bought another aquarium and am about to begin my adventure with snails and guppies again!
I am sure I will have lots of questions for you guys since I trust this site and all of your advice.
My first question I am sure I can find on the site after searching, but I wondered if anyone would post their favorite things to feed the snails, and what you feel your snails love the most.
:)
~Candie
SavannahsMommy
Little snail
Little snail

Re: Getting back to raising snail babies!

Postby dixielawgirl on Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:44 pm

I remembered my log in information, after about 100 tries and resetting emails lol
I was right I was last here about five years ago when I registered in 2004!
dixielawgirl
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby Annie Anderson on Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:32 pm

Hi Dixie and welcome back!

I joined after you in 2006 but have been here since then. Sorry about all your troubles but I'm so glad that now you have two REAL babies--or will in a few months :wink: I hope you will post pictures of your sweetheart Savannah and the new little angel when she's born--we all loooovve pictures here, especially babies :yes: :D .

All snails seem to have different tastes--mine won't eat carrots for one. But my fish (guppies, bn plecos and cory cats) and snails love romaine lettuce and zuchinni. In the summer they also eat lots and lots of dandelion greens! I can't keep enough in the tanks--all my neighbors now me and let me pick thru their dandelion crops too :wink: The also like the Caltrate tablets for their calcium needs (it's calcium for human consumption and can be found in almost any drugstore and at Walmart too). It's just the plain Caltrate with blue on the label--no added vitamin D or anything. I put the tablets in a clamshell or dish and they dissolve and the snails just chow down. My fish love them too and they get good, strong fishbones from the calcium :yes:

I wish you the best of luck with your new tank! I'm so excited for you to be getting all the new baby snails and fish :dance: :dance: .
Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby SavannahsMommy on Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:36 am

Thanks! I am going tomorrow to get supplies for my tank. I am thinking of getting anacharis and hornwort for the plants.
I will look for the caltrate at walmart. I had no idea about that. THanks again. I will keep yall updated. :)
SavannahsMommy
Little snail
Little snail

Postby SavannahsMommy on Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:22 am

Yay I found my original account dixielawgirl from 2004. But I can't remember my log in. The girls are so excited to read thru my post from when I was pregnant with AJ and Savannah was just a baby....but the most exciting thing was seeing all my beautiful snails I had posted pictures of. It breaks my heart that I lost all of them in the divorce :( I do remember trying to start over again in 2009, but not being able to keep up with 2 baby's 2 cats and a fish tank lol my dad still had the tank at his house because he and my mom let me live with them until babies were 2 and 3. By that time daddy had named and became attached to the 4 snails lol so he kept them. I didn't mind because I couldn't take care of a tank and these wild children lol. We are gonna give it a good try now that they are 11 and 12 and I can't wait to learn along side of them too!
SavannahsMommy
Little snail
Little snail

Postby Stijn on Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:09 pm

Welcome back!
Stijn
Magic snail
Magic snail

Return to Snail care