[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Berlin' for 'CEST/2.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Berlin' for 'CEST/2.0/DST' instead
Applesnail.net • View topic - Siphon, Is it a tube or rolled up flesh?

Siphon, Is it a tube or rolled up flesh?

All about taking care of your snail.
Food, temperature, water quality etc.
Only registered users can post here...

Moderator: Board moderators

Siphon, Is it a tube or rolled up flesh?

Postby rpilla001 on Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:53 am

I posted another amusing little Chip story yesterday. Well it was amusing to me, and it brought up an interesting point.

I had seen Chip use his siphon a couple of times and to me it always appeared to be a piece of flesh like an ear that was rolled up when extended to make a tube. I have seen the same thing on the other side (left) of the snail for their exit tube; sometimes it is flat like an elephants ear and other times it is rolled up.

I was corrected in that post that the siphon was a tube and not rolled skin

Now of course I caught Gigantor tonight using his siphon for the first time, but he was hiding behind chip so I did not get any good pictures.

I have posted what I caught and it does indeed looks like he rolls up his "ear" like you would curl up yout tongue. Is this an oddity of Marisas or am I missing something? I highlighted in one picture the ear

rpilla001
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Darkprincess on Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:42 am

Rolled flesh :)
Darkprincess
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby rpilla001 on Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:14 am

Oh yeah.. well your snail posed for you!! My Marisas are sneaks about it. I think they have siphon envy.

Thanks for the great photo.

Robert
Keep on Sliming
Sincerely
Rpilla
rpilla001
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby badflash on Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:30 pm

You should have seen my haustrum's siphon. Inever did get a good pic with it fully extended, but they could come out 4-5". You can see it here "at the ready"
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby peggyd3 on Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:40 pm

Dark Princess,
That is a great photo!
peggy
Peggy
passionate about purple!
www.northernsnails.com

http://www.northernsnails.com/images/up ... age001.gif
sig banner courtesy of Melody! thank you!
peggyd3
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Darkprincess on Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:28 pm

Thanks!
I'm taking too many pictures since I got a better camera with a macro lens haha :oops:
Darkprincess
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Annie Anderson on Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:40 pm

That's an excellent picture Darkprincess! I've seen that the siphon on my snails can be rolled or unrolled but I could never get a picture of it. I can see it especially well on my big cana girl, Clipsta Glint. When she doesn't have it fully extended--and it can extend several inches! :o --I can actually see the "seam" of where the flesh meets. I was amazed when I first saw it, then I started noticing it in my other snails so I figured it was normal. The face on the snail in your picture is perfect! You got all the freckles and a great expression--calendar picture? :yes: :yes:
Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Darkprincess on Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:35 pm

Actually this picture is a small part of a bigger one.
My camera takes pictures twice as big as my computer screen so i had to crop it :P This snail is already in the calendar (Aug. and Sept.) unfortunately it died from that killing thing that is happening in my tank right now :(
Darkprincess
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Annie Anderson on Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:23 am

Oh, how horrible! I'm so sorry! Is it the thing with the antenna bumps? I hope you find the answer for this problem soon.
Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Darkprincess on Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:19 pm

Yeah antenna bumps and foot wounds. I'm losing all my best snails :(
Darkprincess
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Annie Anderson on Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:10 pm

have you tried the Marcyn Plus treatment? One of the members, can't remember her name now, had the "snail plague". She was losing all her snails and nothing helped. She decided to do a test on a group of her snails since they were dying anyway. She did back to back Maracyn+ treatments--you dose the tank 3 times, once every other day. If you started on Monday, the next dose would be Wed., the last on Friday. Then I can't remember if she waited a few days or not, but she did another 3 dose treatment right away. She didn't do a water change in between. Her snails began to recover! I did the same with my snails--their feet were curling up and shrinking, lots of slime hanging from the back of the foot, snails inactive and slow, they looked like they were shrinking. I did the Maracyn treatment once and they looked better. I didn't have enough to do the full treatment on all my tank so I ordered some more and dosed them all again. They snails have all recovered! Their feet didn't get the length back, but now they're flat and flexible, snails are active and no more hanging slime. I don't know if this would be the answer for your snails or not. It has to be Maracyn Plus tho, not the other Maracyn brands. They all have different main ingredients. This treatment didn't harm any of my fish either, not even the cory cats or tetras. I hope this ends for you soon and you can save the rest of your snails. It must be a nightmare for you.
Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Annie Anderson on Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:30 pm

I found the article. It's by dorn27.

dorn27
Veteran snail

Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:43 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The maracyn plus cleared it all up. Thats the thing. It didn't cure my cases where the snails were already paralyzed. Though I had two (including the biopsied one) that were moving... very slowly.... that recovered. The purple who saw the vet, was worse than the other pink one... They were in the "not going to make it tank" and made it. I'm starting to wonder if the foot scraping the vet did (for a sample) might have helped her pull though. Couldn't have hurt (disease wise) having all the top layers removed.

I used the maracyn plus for 3 back to back rounds, with one water change of 25%. After 3 rounds, most of them had recovered or were on their way to recovery. The spots were lighter (though not gone) and the footies stopped shriveling. After the 3 rounds, I gave the tank a few days off. Sorry to say... i dont know how many. Then I did another round (maybe it was 2) to clear up the remaining cases. Finally, I followed up with more melafix (followign water change 25%, but I did not run carbon). I also keep the tanks as cool as possible. I left the window open at night and removed all the heaters.

At this point my main tank was all but better. Their was still some discoloration, but is was so light and improved daily, that I didn't do anything (cept worry). Took about another week for this to clear. The sick tank did not do as well. They certainly hung on, and some fought until the bitter end. I swear, one snail was completely paralyzed, but if you put her on a piece of collard green, so her head could reach it... she would eat.

I guess its possible this isn't bacteria, but my vet saw nothing to indicate fungus or parasites.

You might consider experimenting with other meds, particularly those safe for corals and inverts. Thats how I found Maracyn Plus. I just feel that perhaps yours has developed an immunity to it, from the dosing you did before.

I'd guess at this point... I'd also suggest cleaning the foot, possibly with a disinfectant (but I have no clue whats safe). I'd suggest looking into something like hydrogen peroxide and to see if it's safe for snails. Maybe swab with it diluted.

All of my adult snails were infected, all from the same tank. I had 18, and lost 9 (I think if memory serves right). I did keep my tanks and equipment seperate, so I have no clue how this got into my 10g where babies you recieved from that other party would have come from. The only thing that was transfered, were a few plants, which would have been rinsed in clean water first, but would not have been sterilized because I do not have fish (and previous to this snails) die, haven't had a single snail die since, not even from old age. The symptoms that our mutual contact had, were not the same as mine originally, and if I remember right, nor were yours at the first round. This is why I'm still not sure what we've got is the same, but many of the current symptoms are now equal. The one thing that baffles me is, I never had any swelling, egg related or mantle, during this whole thing. And my snails were always able to close up...

I have to wonder if its the same thing, and if it is... how it mutated to your orginal problem and then back to mine? It sure seems the same, but I do wonder... how it took this long to come about and end up where it started.

This is under the "snail health" topic, the title is "Black stuff wiping off body, could be the answer" p. 2. Don't go by what I wrote, I got it wrong about dorn's treatment. Sorry dorn! Sorry Darkprincess!
Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Darkprincess on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:42 pm

Thanks Annie!

I wasn't sure Maracyn Plus was safe so I tried melafix but it always takes a couple of weeks before another one appears to be sick so I guess i'll try to find it in case they start getting ill again.

So far they are okay except for 1 spixi, 2 brigs and one cana that i isolated all together because of bumps and inactivity ( cana - im not sure he has bumps but he was closed for 6 days)
One seems to have a discolored spot so im keeping an eye on him too.

Is Maracyn Plus safe for plecos and cories ?
Darkprincess
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Annie Anderson on Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:28 pm

I don't have plecos, but I had cories in all 3 tanks I treated-also tetras-and they were fine. I couldn't find the Maracyn Plus in and lfs near me so I had to order it online. If you have to do that, I'd order at least 2 bottles to be sure you can complete the treatment. The way it works, the medication only adheres to the fungus or infection on the fish or snails and doesn't affect the water. For the first hour or so the water is a little cloudy, but after that it's nice and clear again, and it doesn't affect the beneficial bacteria in the tank. Just make sure it's Maracyn Plus--they have 2 other kinds and they're not all the same. I thought Maracyn II would be the same but the woman at the lfs looked up the 2 main ingredients and they were different. I've never used the other 2 so I don't know if they're safe for cories. I had used Melafix on my snails too but it didn't work on whatever they hady
Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby peggyd3 on Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:21 pm

Dark Princess,
Hope you can get your snails figured out! It is very frustrating when you run into a problem and can't figure it out. I usually call Terri! :lol: This forum can be very helpful, like Annie posting that info.
peggy
Peggy
passionate about purple!
www.northernsnails.com

http://www.northernsnails.com/images/up ... age001.gif
sig banner courtesy of Melody! thank you!
peggyd3
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Return to Snail care