[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Berlin' for 'CEST/2.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Berlin' for 'CEST/2.0/DST' instead
Applesnail.net • View topic - Why does my snail bury itself in the substrate?

Why does my snail bury itself in the substrate?

All about taking care of your snail.
Food, temperature, water quality etc.
Only registered users can post here...

Moderator: Board moderators

Why does my snail bury itself in the substrate?

Postby Kalinda89 on Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:52 am

I have a golden mystery snail in a five gallon tank with a black sand substrate. There are also some cherry shrimp, two guppies, and some unwanted ramshorns and trumpet snails. Lately the mystery snail sometimes buries itself partway in the sand, uprooting plants. Is this normal? I previously had a black and a blue mystery snail in this tank (no guppies then) and they never got down into the substrate.

Is sand bad for mystery or apple snails as a substrate? I put in black sand because the red cherry shrimps look good on it, but I could change to black gravel.
Thanks.
Kalinda89
Little snail
Little snail

Re: Why does my snail bury itself in the substrate?

Postby Bettacreek on Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:34 am

I can't say for sure if it's normal, but mine try to burrow down in the gravel as well, but they never make it far because the gravel is too big. Maybe your previous snails just couldn't do it on gravel before, and this one can because the sand is much finer grit.
Bettacreek
Little snail
Little snail

Postby Annie Anderson on Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:27 am

The brigs don't do it as often as spixies and marisas do. But they will bury themselves on occasion. I find my spixies buried in the gravel--I don't have sand, but gravel works just as well for burying yourself :yes: --every day. I don't know if it's to protect themselves when they're sleeping because I've seen them sleeping on the glass too. My canas will look like they're burying themselved but they're actually excavating a particularly delicious tidbit under the gravel :roll: . And the nerites can get to the glass at the bottom of the tank and eat their way along--leaving a ditch behind them! So I wouldn't worry about it, some snails just like the feeling of being buried and feel safer I guess. Snails--who can figure them out?
Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby pbgroupie on Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:31 am

It's normal for bridgs/diffusa too. They are heck on a planted tank sometimes because they like to go for the tasty bits, like Annie said. I'll bet the black sand looks nice. Hope you post some pics.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Return to Snail care