Moving MTS from saltwater to freshwater

Other freshwater snails, like MTS, viviparidae, and etc.

Moderator: Board moderators

Moving MTS from saltwater to freshwater

Postby jonfr on Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:12 am

I have moved the two (or three) MTS snails that where in my saltwater tank to my freshwater tank. That progress was without a problem far as I can tell. But the first snail I did move survived the change from saltwater to freshwater without a problem it seems. Now I am moving the second one in the same manner.

I just drop the salt water level over a period of few days until it is freshwater.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Re: Moving MTS from saltwater to freshwater

Postby badflash on Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:30 pm

I do the changes in 1/3 increments. The snails close up for a day or two, then come out and actively feed again. Then I change the salt level again. Direct transition my cause some losses,
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jonfr on Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:59 am

I did move both snails without issues. At least the first one did vanish in the tank mts population soon after I did put him there.

Same thing appears to have happened to the second mts that I did move. I have no seen them since I did place them in the freshwater tank.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jonfr on Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:35 pm

Here is a picture of the saltwater to freshwater mts. The sea algae is going off the shell. But that leaves it strange white for some reason. It is also interesting that this mts body is more white then the other mts snail in the tank. I do not know if it has started making baby mts yet.

jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Helikulo on Sun May 21, 2017 3:29 pm

I know this is a very old post from 8 years ago, but I just wanted to say, I am keeping mts in light sea-water (sg1020).

I adapted two or three over a long period of almost six months. They have been doing fine although I lost 2 during clean-out - I appear to have syphoned out one or two by accident.. I have not seen any visible signs of stress although I haven't noticed any reproduction at all. Some folk on forums say they do still reproduce in sea conditions - I believe it but I haven't observed it myself :snail:
_@" _@" _@"
Helikulo
Member snail
Member snail

Return to Other freshwater snails