Identification help! Little Aussie "Coco Snails"

Marine snails in this section.

Moderator: Board moderators

Identification help! Little Aussie "Coco Snails"

Postby shadeone on Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:16 pm

There is a company based out of Austrailia that sells little "instant pets" like brine shrimp / sea monkeys (that they call "Sea Dragons"), and other varieties of tiny desktop pets:
http://www.littleaussieproductsshop.com/aboutus.asp
Among their selection is a marine snail they refer to as the "Coco Snail".
I am just wondering if anyone has any leads as to teh type of snail this actually is? They say that these can be shipped anywhere in the world because when out of water they retract back into their shells and can survive this way during shipping. They sell another type of snail they refer to as the "Winkle" which is a purple shelled snail that I found out is actually a Pyramid Periwinkle, commonly found in the vernal pools on the Austrailian shores. Im assuming the Cocos are found in this same area as well.
The reason I want to find out the species of Coco snail is that both of the snails this company sells can be kept in the same tank as Sea Monkeys, but the purple periwinkle likes to try to excape crawl up to the lid and all over the place. The Coco one stays underwater and would make a perfect addition to my desktop Artemia tank at work but I dont want to pay for teh insane shipping costs from Australia just for a couple tiny snails.

here are reference pictures:

thanks in advance!
Jamie
shadeone
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Identification help! Little Aussie "Coco Snails"

Postby shadeone on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:55 pm

if it helps, one post on their official message board mentioned that they are a saltwater lake snail from Lake Eyre. That doesnt help in my google searching though.
shadeone
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby pbgroupie on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:59 am

Hello and welcome to the forum family! :wave: I'm going to give you my personal opinion, so hold on tight! Their website hasn't been updated since 2007. Their forum hasn't had a post in two years. They don't give good care information and they are just interested in selling gimicks. There is no scientific name posted for the snail like they do the brine shrimp. NO SNAIL is allowed to be imported into the US without a permit. If found, the USDA/aphis will confinscate them and kill them. Just because the snails go into hibernation waiting out the "drought" does not mean they aren't stressed by the shipping process. I personally wouldn't support any company that doesn't give you better information.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby shadeone on Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:04 pm

That is kind of what I was thinking. I was just hoping someone knew what they were called and maybe had a US based source I could obtain them from. I dont actually ever plan on doing business with this company :)
...orrrrrr if anyone knew any other snails that would be good in a salty sea-monkey tank on my desk at work!
Also, dont worry, I didnt come here specifically for this, Ive been a lurker for a while and plan on getting serious into the apple snail care thing pretty soon, I just cant have those in my cubicle! ;)
shadeone
Hatchling
Hatchling

Return to Marine snails