snails won't lay eggs

All about getting more snails...
Only registered user can post here.

Moderator: Board moderators

snails won't lay eggs

Postby Teletech on Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:51 pm

I know everyone has a problem with too many snails hatching but I can't seem to get them to lay clutches at all. I have had a few but none were fertile. ( tested with toothpick -patiently waited 6 weeks for the last bunch- all goo) I have 6 mystery snails so there should be at least one of each sex. Any Ideas?
Teletech
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: snails won't lay eggs

Postby pbgroupie on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:38 am

It could be a maturity issue with either your females or the males. Have you seen mating behavior? It goes on for hours and happens repeatedly. The female can store sperm for up to a year. If the males are mating but immature then your clutches will be duds. If everyone is in working order, it could be how you are trying to hatch the eggs. Do a search and you'll find several successful ways to hatch out fertile clutches.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby Teletech on Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:04 am

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't though of them being to young. I will keep an eye on them . Two of them are probably to young. The larger one I am sure is old enough but I lost the mate for him/her.
Teletech
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby Teletech on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:42 pm

OK I have 3 gold mystery snails. No eggs. The snails are all about an inch and a half in dia. I think think they are about 3 months old now. Do I need to be patient? I thought they would have laid a clutch by now. I hate to think that I am doing something wrong but I must be.
Teletech
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby pbgroupie on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:07 pm

Males mature at about 4 months, females from 5-6 months. Patience is required with snails or they'll drive you to :drunk:
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Return to Snail reproduction / eggs / mating