It's been done but how? Solid magenta mystery snails

All about getting more snails...
Only registered user can post here.

Moderator: Board moderators

It's been done but how? Solid magenta mystery snails

Postby Sumthinsfishie on Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:58 am

It's been a long while since I've been on here but recently got back in to my mystery snails again after a 2 year break. I know it's been done before and I've seen them, very rarely but I know they exist....the solid colored magenta!

I currently have LSP w/ dark foot and magenta w/ light foot. All snails were from the same colored parents along with grandparents so I know the history. I'm wondering if I add ivory or blue in for more generations if that will remove the stripes and eventually produce solid magentas?

Anyone have any pointers?

It's GREAT to be back!
Sumthinsfishie
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Re: It's been done but how? Solid magenta mystery snails

Postby pbgroupie on Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:43 pm

IMPO, adding ivory will give you lighter shells, and the blue is a clear or ivory shell with a dark foot, so that's not much help either. Keep breeding the colors you like, but you'll have to do a lot of isolation early. With the females storing sperm up to a year, and most males maturing at 4 months and females around 6 months, it's going to be a challenge. It takes at least 6 months to determine final she'll color, and that can be affected by the environment (food, temperature, water conditions, overcrowding). I admire your enthusiasm and wish you luck!
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Re: It's been done but how? Solid magenta mystery snails

Postby Sumthinsfishie on Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:26 pm

Thank you! I'll give this a shot and will hopefully post some results with pics. Mystery snails are AWESOME!
Sumthinsfishie
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Return to Snail reproduction / eggs / mating