Mystery Snail/Ramshorn Snail Cross-Breeding

All about getting more snails...
Only registered user can post here.

Moderator: Board moderators

Mystery Snail/Ramshorn Snail Cross-Breeding

Postby Magilla on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:17 pm

So, I have had an (apparently) female Ramshorn for a few months now, and she's been great at helping keep my tank fairly clean. Then I went to the Petstore and saw this fantastic Mystery Snail specimen. I couldn't resist, but am kind of wishing I had now as he has taken a liking to my Ramshorn and also creates more waste than he cleans.

My two questions are this:
1. Has anyone heard of this cross-breeding actually working (i.e. could she be pregnant from him)

2. Are these snails really supposed to generate this much waste?
Magilla
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby Pamelajo on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:45 pm

Hi and Welcome to the site.
They are very messy critters yes.
I believe that Rams/ Marisas can only cross breed with spixis as far as I know. And spixis are not usually found in stores. It is usually canas or brigs. Someone else will be along soon and correct me if I am wrong.
Pamelajo
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby demented_lullaby on Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:52 pm

Well there is a few things to take into account here

What type of "ramshorn" do you have? Is it the giant ramshorn species(apple snail)or is it the regular ramshorn species(planorbid, spelling may be off ;))?

Then Mystery snail doesn't say much. What colour is it? What shell type does it have. It could be a cana or brig. In either case no, they will not cross breed. The only hybrid I know of in apple snails is spixi/marisa(or giant ramshorn).

Oh and yes, apple snails poop a lot if healthily fed. If your not willing or able to upkeep it then you will need to bring it back. Depending on the ramshorn species you have she/he needs 2.5g or so, if you have a brig you need another 2.5g or so and if it's a cana you need another 5g or so.

Good luck.
~Tales of Legendia~
"brother and sister"

...Forever and a day...

PUFFERZPWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111one
demented_lullaby
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Magilla on Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:37 pm

Alright, I've taken a little time to figure out which species I have. The female is definitely a Marisa cornuarietis and the eggs match all of the pictures I've seen for one of these (i.e. in a gelatinous mass in the water).

The male is well, a Mystery to me, however, I've seen the siphon out of the water (which I must say is very very cool). Hopefully this helps.

I've got these guys in a 10g tank with 3 tiger barbs, a honey gourami and a black shark. This is a temporary home for the gourami and black shark as I am aware they will need at least a 55g tank soon enough.

On another note, does anyone know why my honey gourami would leave my tiger barbs alone but attack my albino tiger barbs like they were food? The only thing I could think of was they are almost exactly the same color.

Thanks for your help
Magilla
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby luvfishies on Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:58 pm

Hi Magilla, and welcome!

Your gourami may indeed be seeing the albino TBs as competition/food. I'd also watch the TBs, as they are shoaling fish, and nippy as heck when there isn't a gang of them to keep themselves occupied. They may attack and try to nibble on the Mystery Snail's tentacles.

Your Mystery snail may not be a male, as I've seen even females crawl over and attach themselves to other snails. Yes, snails are social critters!

If your Marisa is laying eggs, those eggs may be fertile. They can store sperm for months, and if she was in a tank at the lfs with other Marisas, she may be able to lay fertile eggs for a while yet. If you see little wee "dots" on the side of the tank or on decor, they will probably be Marisas. However, I'd say the TBs will eat the baby Marisas and help keep the population down.
>>-)))o> skwij <--CLICK!
luvfishies
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby Magilla on Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:07 am

Looks like no dice on the eggs. They certainly haven't turned pink at this point and it's been a few days. I'll leave them a couple of more just to see if I'm wrong.

Thanks for the advice.
Magilla
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby nannasmom on Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:26 pm

Pink? Are you talking about aquatic eggs? or aerial eggs? Marisa eggs are aquatic (always lain under water) and your "Mystery Snail" will likely lay aerial eggs (above the water line). Marisa eggs remain clear during incubation. You will see the baby snails inside each egg cell - if your eyesight is very good - within a couple weeks after they've been lain.
There are some good pictures of the two types of snail eggs in the Care Section of the site under the subtitle "Reproduction".
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got..."
nannasmom
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Return to Snail reproduction / eggs / mating