STRESSED SNAILS

All about health problems of your snails (shell holes, inactivity etc.).
Only registered users can post here.

Moderators: Donya, Board moderators

STRESSED SNAILS

Postby maddy6056 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:12 am

hey everyone! so my 5 gallon tank is newly cycled and i had perfect parameters for a few days, so i got my two new brigs snails! however, they have been producing tons of slime. and white fuzz when they poop and its everywhere. parameters are .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and about 10-20 nitrates. I got them yesterday and did a water change after this reading and prior to introducing them, i also took another test today with the same results, and did a 50% WC and got the ammonia down to between 0 and .25. they are becoming very inactive and I'm scared ill lose my babies. they aren't shut tight up in their shells but their both still alive. they haven't moved in a few hours and have been generally inactive these last 24 hours. i have been adding prime every water change. its a 5 gallon, heated to 78 degrees with a filter. they haven't been interested in food eaither, what should i do?? i posted on fish lore as well but i want lots of opinions as I'm scared, i had an apple snail for 7 months and she just passed last month and I'm still sad about it, how can i help my new babies??
maddy6056
Little snail
Little snail

Re: STRESSED SNAILS

Postby pbgroupie on Thu May 12, 2016 6:32 pm

Your tank isn't really cycled yet or your readings would be 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and <10-20 ppm nitrates. If you are using Prime you don't need to do water changes as often. You need to let the filter media catch up to the new bio load (two snails). The Prime is neutralizing the toxins so give your tank a chance to grow the bio bugs necessary to keep your tank in check. You can continue to test every day for awhile, and only do a partial (25%) water change if you see the numbers in the ammonia going up. Once ammonia 0's out, the nitrites will start to rise, until eventually they will both read 0. Don't add any other critters to the tank as with two snails you have already maxed out a 5 gallon tank. Good luck!
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Re: STRESSED SNAILS

Postby ankimo on Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:41 am

Hi,

the amount of waste produced in your tank is based on the amount of food you put into your aquarium. Surely you have too much Ammonia, but also sure you will get a Nitrite peak because the too high amount of Ammonia will be processed into Nitrite and you will not have enough bacterias to transfer the Nitrite into Nitrate. As soon as you have a lot of Nitrite in your tank the bacterias will grow and be able to change your Nitrite into Nitrate.
In your situation I would measure the Nitrite every day until I see the peak and the peak is gone again. If you see the peak change your water to keep it under 1mg/l. If you have to change it every day, than change it every day. It will be less than one week. If you can not measure any Nitrite anymore you can go ahead with putting more snails into the tank.

Hope that it was helpful.

Regards Andy
http://Fischkrankheiten24.de
ankimo
Hatchling
Hatchling

Return to Snail health problems