Huge air bubble - collapsed lung?

All about health problems of your snails (shell holes, inactivity etc.).
Only registered users can post here.

Moderators: Donya, Board moderators

Huge air bubble - collapsed lung?

Postby AmalJai on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:27 am

I'm looking for help for our Apple snail. I'm not great with apple snail physiology so I'm having a hard time getting answers from reading posts. I'll try to be as clear as possible.

We've had our Apple snail in a 10 gallon tank with a heater and filter for about a year with a Betta, 4 little plecos, and 4 neons. We were using real plants to stabilize the water and feed the snail for the first few months, but it got expensive so we stopped. A few weeks later, we uncovered little red wormies in the bottom of the tank while cleaning it. The fish were mostly fine. One of the plecos was having a hard time growing and eventually had some fin rot so we moved him to a hospital tank and he got better and eventually caught up in size to the other three.

Several months later, our tank started showing some signs of illness. We were busier and not as great with weekly water changes, our mistake. At some point probably three months ago, the tank became overrun with tiny snails. No idea where they came from but we assume the plants? We tried lots of water cycles and salt etc, not really knowing how to get rid of them without hurting the apple snail. Around this time, our neons started to get sick. We tried the hospital tank for all of them but they all died within a few weeks from one another.

Then, our snail who had always been very active and had laid eggs at least 6-7 times started to move less. It started to hang out near the top of the tank. It would move, just very rarely. We assumed it was mad about the lack of real plants and let it be.

Last week, our Betta died after suddenly contracting what seemed to be swim bladder and having difficulty swimming to the surface. We tried again with him to cycle the water and maintain tank levels.

Today, we came home to our Apple snail with a huge bubble hanging out of his shell. He seems to be moving a tiny bit and the bubble is losing air. He's on the bottom of the tank.

We checked and pH is at 7.6, Ammonia is 0-0.25 ppm, nitrite is 0 ppm, and nitrate is 20 ppm. Could this be causing it? Our plecos seem totally fine.

What should we do?

I have photos but am having trouble uploading them. I will keep trying.
AmalJai
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Huge air bubble - collapsed lung?

Postby pbgroupie on Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:30 am

I'm sorry to hear that your snail is not doing well. It almost sounds like mantel collapse, which is always fatal. You can let the snail live out it's life or put it down. It sounds like the snail has been with you for a long time, which means it could also be near the end of it's natural life. The most common apple snail in the aquarium trade, diffusa, will live between 8-18 months depending on conditions in the tank. If she was laying eggs she must have had a good life with you. I'm sorry I can't give you better news.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Return to Snail health problems