Unidentified "black ash" disease killing snails

All about health problems of your snails (shell holes, inactivity etc.).
Only registered users can post here.

Moderators: Donya, Board moderators

Unidentified "black ash" disease killing snails

Postby Luvsnailz on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:23 pm

I'm hoping to hear from someone who has experience treating this. From my research it seems very rare and unidentified. :help:

Tank is cycled, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20ppm. PH 7.5ish. Fed calcium rich diet & supplements.

I have lost 3 or 4 babies due to this issue. The snails are young blue mystery snails.

For the last month I have been seeing black smudges appear under their shells. It is not the shell itself or irregular growth. I examined a dead snail, pulled it out of its shell and discovered the shell is in perfect condition. There is a black residue on the inside resembling soot or ash that can be wiped off. Affected snails display dark black smudges, streaks and/or patches, along with whitish patches in the center of the black. The issue started at a few snails. Now all 22 have been affected, some more severely than others. Snails that die from it turn almost entirely mottled, with patches of white, black and copper. So far the ones that have died are all the smallest ones.

Is this a fungus? Bacteria? Organ failure? What medications can be effective? I'm grasping at straws and scared all of my snails will die. :sad2:

Hope to hear back soon from someone. Thank you!
Luvsnailz
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Unidentified "black ash" disease killing snails

Postby pbgroupie on Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:02 pm

This is a first as I have never heard of it before. I don't think it's organ failure. You can try treating it with tea tree oil (Melafix or Pimafix). Treat according to package instructions.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Return to Snail health problems