dead or sleeping?

All about health problems of your snails (shell holes, inactivity etc.).
Only registered users can post here.

Moderators: Donya, Board moderators

dead or sleeping?

Postby Laura123 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:08 pm

i bought 2 appl esnails 2 days ago. they were both fine moving around my tank until one didnt move for a day so i moved it to the front of my tank and now the other one isnt moving either. they arnt floating.

what could it be?

i had my water checked before i got them and it was fine
x
Laura123
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: dead or sleeping?

Postby pbgroupie on Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:36 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum family! :wave: I'm so sorry to hear you're having problems with your snails. If you could post the stats for your tank it would help us to solve your problem. IF you know it, it would be helpful to know:

1. pH*
2. Ammonia level*
3. Nitrite level*
4. Nitrate level*
5. kH*
6. Temperature
7. Tank size
8. Other tank inhabitants (fish, snails, and others)
9. Recent tank history (e.g. is this a newly established tank? When was the last water change? Temperature fluctuations? New equipment?).
10. Any fish medications or other additives used in the water in the recent past.

They don't have to be floating to be dead. If you gently pull on their operculum (trap door) do they pull it back tightly? If they don't smell like the worse thing ever, then they still may have a chance. We look forward to helping you!
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby Laura123 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:05 pm

i dont know the stats.. before i bought them the fish shop man checked a sample of my water and he said it was fine.

well.. a few weeks ago my thermostat stuck and killed everything in my tank ( african clawed frogs and some fish) i cleaned the tank ( no soap) and let it cycle for a few days then bought some fish ( dont know what they are but they dont have long fins and are torpedo shaped) this was 3 weeks ago. then 2 days ago i bought the 2 frogs, a small catfish ( not even an inch long) and 2 guppies.

temperature is - 24 degrees

tank size is 12 inches in height, 16 across and 11 in depth

they just have normal fish food
x
Laura123
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby pbgroupie on Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:54 pm

I don't know how much you know about cycling a tank, but it can take weeks for a proper cycle to take place, depending on how drastically you tore the tank down to begin with. Here's a link to help you know a bit more about cycling: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4139

Every time you introduce more critters into your tank, you have to give the bio-bugs a chance to catch up. Just because the water tested fine a few days ago doesn't mean it's fine now. The snails and the frogs will eat a lot and poop a lot, which means you'll need some good filtration in there. Try doing a 25% water change (with treated water if you have "city" water) and see if that perks the snails up. You should invest in a test kit so you can test your water yourself. Let us know how the partial water change works.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby Lupin on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:13 am

Dont' trust your LFS to say the water conditions are 'fine'. They tend to pretend that it is when in fact, it is not. Please get your API liquid test kit so you can check your water parameters without being lied to. I agree with pbgroupie completely. Do water changes for now. It doesn't hurt to try doing it. For your heater, get Visitherm Stealth. This brand has rave reviews so I am sure you will want this one to avoid another fatal accident.
:dance: In love with goldfish and snails.

To know better about goldfish, you can find a lot of info on them in GAB.
:dance:
Lupin
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Laura123 on Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:42 am

ok ill do a partial water change. the blok showed me the strip of pape he used to test it. i dont have the frogs anymore they died :(

ok.. where do i get the tests from and how much will they be? ill do a part water change tonight to see how it goes
x
Laura123
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby pbgroupie on Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:42 pm

If you have a local fish store look for a test kit that at least tests for pH, ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites. Here's another link that will help you figure out the basics: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18054 IMPO, the liquid kits are more accurate than the test strips. It will cost about $25USD but if you are going to keep any type of aquatic animal, it's best to have your own kit. So sorry to hear about your frogs. Sounds like you may need to do a partial water change (no more than 25% or your tank will start cycling again!) every couple of days until your tank settles down. Let us know how things are going. We really are here to help. :snail:
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Return to Snail health problems