Snail with bitten off antennae

All about health problems of your snails (shell holes, inactivity etc.).
Only registered users can post here.

Moderators: Donya, Board moderators

Snail with bitten off antennae

Postby LadySamsara on Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:01 pm

I've had a very small Apple snail for about a month now, and last night moved her into my 2 gallon Betta tank. The Betta attacked her right away...I was just in shock! I have had snails in with most of my fish and have never had this happen before. I immediately removed her and when she started cruising around again I noticed one of her long antennae looked much shorter. Could the Betta have bitten it? She seemed fine otherwise. Now this morning the antennae looks longer...almost normal. Do their antennae grow back? Is there anything else I need to look for in case she was harmed by the fish?

Thanks to all for any information!
The more people I meet, the more I like my Dog (and Snails!).
LadySamsara
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby patricia379 on Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:38 pm

Yep, the betta could be the cause....I imagine the antennae looks like a tasty worm when it is waving about. There are many fish that do not make good tank mates for snails. Antenna can grow back. Heck if an Apple Snail loses an eye it regenerates another!
Pretty amazing huh??:o

Look for damage to the foot. From what you have described the snail is just fine except for a shortened antennae.

I love watching the older snails with the really long antennae, cruising about and the antennae gracefully floating/moving.

Can you tell I'm addicted to these creatures???

Again, tho I am sure your snail is fine...is it possible to keep her in a separate tank?
patricia379
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Donya on Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:33 pm

My betta thought my snails' fealers were a yummy wonderful treat when he got put in my snail tank durring the beig storm last year. He quickly got ousted to a bowl when I saw what he did. I suspect the only reason Eatith's feelers survived in-tact is that hers were too big for the rotten little fish to get a hold of.

But, all my snails that lost their feelers grew them back, just as long as before in most cases. Apple Snails do remarkable feats of regeneration.
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby LadySamsara on Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:25 pm

Hello patricia and Donya and thanks for the information and reassurance! Josie seems fine....the antennae actually seems normal again, maybe she didn't have it fully extended for some reason after the attack. She has been removed and will be put in with my other Betta after a little break...I hope he is gentler with her!

Luckily, there are no injuries to her foot...we watched the attack and her foot was facing opposite the Betta. I got her out right away to avoid any other injuries from occuring.

Thanks again ladies....your help is much appreciated!
The more people I meet, the more I like my Dog (and Snails!).
LadySamsara
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby airwen on Sat Feb 07, 2004 4:22 am

My snail came with half an antennae, it doesn't bother him very much- I wouldn't worry about it too much, but- is it just me or do Bettas make bad tankmates?
-airwen
airwen
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby nannasmom on Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:10 pm

My Betta's thought that snail antennae were food. Since Betta's love live foods (bloodworms, blackworms, etc.), I would think snail antennae would be very much like a Betta delicacy. If the snails learns (and it will) to keep the antennae rolled up under the shell, it can keep the fish from nipping them off. However, it won't keep most Betta's from pestering the snail(s) to see if the snail will slip up and leave one outside the shell just enough for "a little nip". This has been my experience, anyway. I never liked keeping my snails in with my Betta's. I don't think it could be a very pleasant experience for the snail and could very well contribute to their untimely death. IMHO
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got..."
nannasmom
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

bent tentacle

Postby Amanda on Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:22 am

One of Daisy's tentacles looks somewhat bent at an angle and seems limp beyond that point. Good to know that snails will regenerate parts but what if it's not broken off?

I recently put 3 small apple snails in with her but I don't suspect any turf wars - more likely that she may have fallen down in the tank and landed on an outstreched tentacle?

Thoughts on regeneration/recover?

Thanks. ;)
A.
Luv my snail.
Amanda
Little snail
Little snail

Return to Snail health problems