Wish List

Things do not work? Suggestions and comments?
Everyone can post here.

Moderators: pbgroupie, Stijn

Wish List

Postby Winterlily on Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:12 pm

Hiya!

2 things on my Wish List:

The first is, when posting or replying to a post, have the "Notify me through e-mail when replies are posted" choice ticked by default. I always forget to check it and have to go back, edit, and check it off.

Second is the way the search engine works. Often I'll look for something and it tells me that the words are "too common" (even when it's a string - not just one word like "snails" obviously) and it won't give me results. Next time it happens I can give you an example if you want? It can be very frustrating!

:) So there you have it. Just my short wish list.
Winterlily
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Re: Wish List

Postby Steph on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:43 pm

I know what you mean about the search... I ran into that in the hatching / breeding section when I tried doing a search for "baby pictures" or "baby photos" or something like that, but both words were rejected as being too common.

-Stephanie
Steph
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby pbgroupie on Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:40 pm

Check the user control panel to change your options on the "notify me when a reply is posted". First go to the "board preferences" tab. Then choose the "edit posting defaults" link. The last on the list says "notify me upon replies by default" so choose the yes option and then click submit. That should help you always get replies (when that part of the system is working, which has been spotty since the last forum upgrade :toomuch: ). As to the search feature, try using the search under the "vote" button at the top right hand of the page. It searches the whole discussion forum instead of just the thread. I used baby photos and it quickly came up with over 70 pages of links! HTH
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby Winterlily on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:43 am

Great - thanks for the how-to on default notification of replies! Did it! :yes:

That's the search box I do use. As an example, I put in "snail pictures" and it told me no - the words are too common. "Baby pictures" got the same response. I got the same result as you when using "baby photos" though.
Winterlily
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby pbgroupie on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:35 am

It's so nice when I can grant wishes. :rofl: Now if I could only remember where I planted that money tree someone asked for. :toomuch:
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby Winterlily on Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:26 pm

Let me know if you can find it. I'd like a seed or two. ;)
Winterlily
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Stijn on Sun May 23, 2010 9:24 pm

I've altered the search function. It now gives results on 'common' words as well (+14889 for 'snail').
Stijn
Magic snail
Magic snail

Postby Winterlily on Sun May 23, 2010 9:54 pm

:) Cool - thanks Stijn!

Seems like about a week ago, we quit being on frames and the whole correct URL showed when you were viewing a thread etc, or using your browser's Back/Forward function. Now we're back to frames looks like? Any hope of going back off frames? Was so much easier/nicer navigation-wise. :wink:
Winterlily
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Stijn on Sun May 23, 2010 10:30 pm

http://www.applesnail.net/forum3/ and the frames are gone... Is that you mean?
I haven't beenchanging anything related to frames recently, so I'm not 100% sure what you mean by it.
Let me know if it's something else you're referring to.
Stijn
Magic snail
Magic snail

Postby Winterlily on Mon May 24, 2010 12:24 am

Oh that's weird! The way it's been, and the way it is now as I type, is that no matter where on the site I am, my address bar just says "http://www.applesnail.net" and my browser's Back/Forward list just shows "The Apple Snail (Ampullariidae) Website" - usually a long list of those words if I've been navigating all over the site. But last week it changed so that my address bar would actually show the address of the page, like for this thread it'd show "http://www.applesnail.net/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20383" and my Back/Forward list would actually show the name of the forum or name of topic etc - like for this thread it said "Applesnail.net - View Topic - Wish List". It's sooo much easier when the Back/Forward list shows the names like that! Dunno why the difference, but it's back now to not giving the full information.
Winterlily
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Steph on Mon May 24, 2010 4:14 am

Maybe it depends on how you linked in to the forums? I set my favorites to the forum address directly rather than the frame / base address, so as long as I use my bookmark I get to the forums without the frame. I put a link on my own site too, that goes directly to the forums.

If I key in the URL though (www.applesnail.net) then I get the frames.
Steph
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby pbgroupie on Mon May 24, 2010 10:54 am

If you come in through a link from a message that was sent to your e-mail addy you don't get the frames.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby Winterlily on Mon May 24, 2010 4:31 pm

pbgroupie: Never click through the e-mail links because the site is nearly always open in my browser ANYhow... (pathetic, isn't it? <lol> ) ... I guess I should!

Steph: Ahhhh, that may be it, then. I didn't realize there were 2 different ways to access - one frames one without. Will most certainly use the one without then, thanks!

Stijn: Never mind allllll my above. :roll: :oops:
Winterlily
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Return to Message board / website problems