Pictures of our baby snails.

Want to know how we look like?
Or rather wish to show your own face?
Or want us to show your snails/tanks/whatever? Get here!
Only members can post...

Moderators: Stijn, Board moderators

Pictures of our baby snails.

Postby ookami_meggle on Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:57 am

This is the first clatch hatching.

The second clatch hatching.

Our little chubby butt baby snail. He is the biggest of the babies.

Some of the other babies.

Some more clatches.

ookami_meggle
Leading snail
Leading snail

Re: Pictures of our baby snails.

Postby ookami_meggle on Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:00 am

Oh and I forgot. These are the parents. :)
ookami_meggle
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby Amysnail on Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:00 pm

How adorable! They are precious!
My name is Amy, and I am addicted to apple snails.
Amysnail
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby ookami_meggle on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:51 am

Thank you. :D The second clatch is about done hatching and the new babies seem to be following their older sibling around the tank. Also I saw that they like canned green beans so I blanchec some of our frozen ones and I have two baby snails surfing across the tank on the two halves of one bean. :)
ookami_meggle
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby ookami_meggle on Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:30 am

ookami_meggle
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby Amysnail on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:05 pm

Soooooo cute! I love it when they use green beans as a surf board. Who says you shouldn't play with your food, lol. I've caught a few of my snails riding the waves on green beans as well. Green beans is like an addiction for my snails. My cana girl will dive into a pile of green beans. Its funny to watch her do it, because they can't dive forward, so she will walk up to them and flop over on her side to get to them. I've got pics of her in green bean heaven in the members photos. Its cute. I can't wait to see more pics of yours. I'm a picture junkie.
Amysnail
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby ookami_meggle on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:16 pm

Well that is good. I love to take pictures. I wish my old camera wasn't broken it took better pictures using macro. This one is okay but it doesn't like all the algae on the babies tank. Heheh. I do have a question, two really. Since I put the parent snails in the 44 gallon they have been spending most of their time at the top of the water. The mother of the babies has been going out of the water once and a while. Is this bad or are they just getting used to the new tank? The next question is what type of fish would be okay to put in the tank with the snails? The baby snails will be going in there until I find homes for them so the fish would have to be okay with the babies as well. My Fiance loves tiger barbs so he would love to put those in there.
ookami_meggle
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby Amysnail on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:58 pm

If mama snail is leaving the water, she is probably looking for a place to give you more babies. :o especially in a new tank, she will find just the right spot before she lays. If they're hanging out at the waterline a lot, it might be something in the water, your water stats are stable though right? The tank is cycled and all that good stuff? Although mine do rest near the top too. They seem to like it there because if they need to take in air, they don't have to move anything but their syphon. They can get lazy like that.
Amysnail
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby ookami_meggle on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:18 am

We only had some strips which since surfing this site I see is frowned upon. I ran out before I set up the big tank. Would this be what I should get?

http://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWATER-MA ... B000255NCI
ookami_meggle
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby pbgroupie on Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:12 am

That's a good test kit! :yes:
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby ookami_meggle on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:00 am

I hope we can get enough money to buy it. I'm on forced medical leave and my fiance's hours just got cut.
ookami_meggle
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby Amysnail on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:26 am

I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe until you can afford it, find a reliable pet store, and they can test it for you.
Amysnail
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby ookami_meggle on Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:38 pm

I'm thinking about calling up Franklin Feed. They are excellent with their aquatic life. They are the ones I want to see if they want the babies. They are the only pet-store I would trust with them. They are so far away from our home for walking so we would have to find a ride there. I put a trouser sock (like a sock version of pantyhose) filled with crushed oyster shell in the big tank and that seemed to get the parent snails to cheer up a lot more. The mother snail actually was hanging around inspecting the sock for about 15 minute before deciding it was suitable and running off to eat some lettuce. Right now it looks like their resting as are most of the babies in the other tank. I fished out the old food last night and accidentally fished out a baby who was enthusiastically clinging to a green bean. I then blanched some lettuce and put it in the tank. half sank the rest floated. There a bunch of babies on the sunken half there are only two on the floating piece. Some of the babies are getting big enough where I can see their little radula going along the algae covered glass. :D
ookami_meggle
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby Amysnail on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:31 am

Awwww, that's so awesome, youre pics are making me wish my four clutches would hurry up. They are right at a week old, and I can't wait. I've got a friend who owns a pet store that takes my babies. Well, the ones I don't keep anyway. :wink:
Amysnail
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby ookami_meggle on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:35 am

How many snails do you have Amy? We are planning on keeping 2-4 of the babies. I have homes for 12 of the babies. I am not sure how to ship them though. Do you have any pointers? Are there different restrictions on shipping them different places.
ookami_meggle
Leading snail
Leading snail

Next

Return to Member photos