Snail dead? How remove from shell?

Well snails die too... Here is a place you can express your feelings, talk about it or whatever you wish...
Public forum (anyone can post here)

Moderators: Donya, Board moderators

Postby Deputy Stankus on Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:51 pm

So, once I've ladled on the "Hard as Nails" do I need to keep the little guys out of the water until it is dry?
Deputy Stankus
Little snail
Little snail

Postby sillysnailmom on Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:07 am

Just make sure it's not Glitter polish! :lol:
sillysnailmom
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Deputy Stankus on Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:22 am

Hey, I was also wondering...we take care of some tanks in businesses around town. My snail had 3 clutches earlier this year, and now that they are close to outgrowing the baby tanks, I thought I would put some of them in these tanks. The problem is...food. We can't be in there everyday dropping in lettuce and such. The rest of the fish are fed by twice a day timed auto feeders. Is there anything I could put in these autofeeders that would keep the snails happy?
Deputy Stankus
Little snail
Little snail

Postby StephD4evr on Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:45 am

Could you break some algae wafers in to quarters and add some tropical tablets as well? Mine eat these as well as shrimp pellets and LOVE them.
StephD4evr
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Deputy Stankus on Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:36 pm

That's what I was thinking of trying for the snails. I now have hard as nails "nail clinic" (that is normally used to strengthen nails before putting on polish) and hard as nails clear polish. I'm probably going to use both--do I need to let the snails sit outside of the tank until the stuff is completely dry? will this hurt them?
Deputy Stankus
Little snail
Little snail

Postby StephD4evr on Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:56 pm

I have never done this, but in my opinion, I would think you would need to let it harden. First of all, the polish would give off a toxin in the water I would think. :o Once hardened (similar to epoxy) it wouldn't give off the gaseous toxins. In my recollection, the Hard-As-Nails is fast drying so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Apple Snails can stay out of the water for some time. They usually will remain in their shells. It is important not to let the polish get on their sensitive bodies, as it could kill them. I believe someone said in a previous post, it burns them or something. :(

In regards to the auto feeder: I feed my snails algae wafers broken up & it's their favorite. Also an easy, clean food for them that keeps for a long time. They also love the tropical tablets by Tetra Min and they get shrimp pellets as treats, but don't feed too many because any that aren't consumed gunk up the water bad. Some people have said that cheap Koi food is good to try too, although I thought it floated and I'd rather keep it easy for my snails to eat by having sinking food. To each his own!! :snail:
StephD4evr
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby sillysnailmom on Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:34 am

I just let the polish dry. The snails were happy to walk around the table till they were dry. :snail: Be very careful to avoid flesh. And it's too dangerous to paint the operculum, so don't try it -too risky. My kid put vacation feeders in the tank. The snails adore it! The Koi (indoors for the winter) ignores it. And the koi eats Everything!!!!! Pig fish I call him! :lol:
sillysnailmom
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Deputy Stankus on Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:21 pm

I tried it with just one of my snails--a guinea pig, I guess. I took one of the largest ones and put on a coat of "nail clinic' and then a coat of hard as nails polish. At first it pulled inside its shell, but after a minute or two it came out. It was looking around like crazy. A very curious snail. In fact, it made it hard to paint it because it was moving around so much. I held it in my hand, by the shell, so it was on its back. That won't hurt it , will it? It seemed all right.

I think it was just looking around. While I waited for the polish to dry, I gave it a big piece of lettuce, but it really just hugged it instead of eating it. So far the snail is doing quite well. Its shell is not as pretty as before :( but that's ok. Oh, and I couldn't help it...I let it "bite" my finger :D . It felt kinda like sandpaper. These little guys are so awesome!! :snail: :snail: :snail:

PS I tried some broccolli last night, 'cause its higher in calcium, but the snails didn't eat it. Well, my little conicle snails liked it, but not the apple snails. I had cut the stalks into little slices. Should I be using the top of the broccolli?
Deputy Stankus
Little snail
Little snail

Postby Snailbert on Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:56 pm

elgecko wrote:If you take the snails out of the tank for a few days, and let them dry out......then you know there dead for sure. :o :err: :o

Sorry, could not resist

Read this page
http://www.applesnail.net/content/care.php#housing

"Don't worry, they can easily survive out of the water for more then a week"

So you will still not know for sure. =o)

And to the rest of you... I'M BACK!!
Snailbert
Snailbert
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby StephD4evr on Sat Apr 26, 2003 12:16 am

WELCOME BACK SNAILBERT!! It's been a long time. :P
StephD4evr
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby pluto on Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:49 am

wish i would have read this before i posted in the chat section. could the polish thing work for thin shell bands. i guess that my tank went through a soft water stage (or the petstore's did) so my snail (midas, a golden) has thin band and then a bump. i dont think that it bugs him and his shell is still hard and thick but it bugs me no end. how fast do thier shells grow?? it seems like midas's shell has grown an inch (around, not in diameter) since i got him (about 3 months ago) is that normal or am i just misremembering (the latter is VERY possible :D ) another quick question...are thier shells supposed to be shiny or flat?) midas's shell is flat before the thin ring and shiny after. water problem or mamas paranoia?? if it is a water problem, what is it? most fish sites and books dont tell about snail-related problems. :snail:
According to Douglas Adams, the answer to life, the universe, and everything is six times nine, which is, of course 42. According to me, the answer to life, the universe, and everything is one big shell plus a slimy inside, which is, of coure, a snail.
pluto
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby patricia379 on Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:14 am

I've experienced 'The Smell' oh yes! I had one snail this past week who became motionless, so I took it out and placed it in a bowl and kept doing the smell test and nothing....one day I noticed the shell open a tad and gently lifted it out only to have the body plop out into the water.

ARGGGH :err: :err: traumatized for sure.

Made getting the shell for keeping easy tho.

'The Smell' should be used on Fear Factor (as long as they don't kill live snails to obtain 'The Smell'. Only the strong would survive..phewwww.
patricia379
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

cukes??

Postby patricia379 on Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:18 am

I've got to try cucumbers. So far the snails have turned their noses up to broccoli, carrots and lettuce. I've got some tomato in the tank now..haven't checked to see if they've had a taste test.
What other fresh veggies are suggested? Some say boil them..should I??
patricia379
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby nannasmom on Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:51 am

If you have only brig's, they don't really go in for the "fresh" veggie thing. They are more apt to snack on peas (if you remove the little hull first), grean beans (but the only seem to eat the outside portion all the way around and leave the middle), cooked carrots (but don't cook 'em too soft), etc. They like soft veggies so if you steam them or blanch them, they will most likely appreciate them more. Mine eat cucumbers, but only if I either freeze them first (after you take 'em out, they're kind of mushy) or drop them into a pot of boiling water for a minute or two. Mine never have taken to broccoli.
Now, if you want a veggie-eating brigade ... get a few Cana's. They will mow down any green (or red or purple or orange...) vegatation you want to drop in there. It's like having vegatarian piranha's (only they eat a little slower). I put brussel sprouts in their tank one night last week and the race to the top was on! You can actually hear them munching on the harder vegatables. Chew...chew...chew...poop...chew...chew... :lol:
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got..."
nannasmom
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Snail food for thought

Postby sillysnailmom on Thu Nov 06, 2003 4:41 pm

My snails love zuchinni! I slice it the long way and put it in a veggie clip. They love it. They also love grape tomatoes. I slice them in half and peel them. Remove the seeds (they will sprout in the tank) and the snails eat till it's gone! The snails even ate a piece of cheese I put in there once out of curiosity. They liked cabbage, but really loved the zuchinni better.
sillysnailmom
Parent snail
Parent snail

PreviousNext

Return to Snail-graveyard