Snail dead? How remove from shell?

Well snails die too... Here is a place you can express your feelings, talk about it or whatever you wish...
Public forum (anyone can post here)

Moderators: Donya, Board moderators

Postby SGcvn69 on Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:21 pm

man how did i miss this thread??? cheese?!?! tomato seeds sprouting? that could be a good thing they may want to eat the seedlings. i've never had mine sprout. they eat everything but the seeds and that usually ends up getting sucked into the filter.

Nail polish...i take them out paint them and then put them in a holding container with very little water. just enough to cover the bottom and a lid on it so they cruise around in there for awhile. till they dry. then plop! back into their home.

patricia: oh my traumatizing for sure to see that! glad i haven't! i usually leave my dead snails in the tank so their friends can munch on them. sick i know, but hey they clean up dead stuff! so it's beneficial for them too.
SGcvn69
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Empty Shell

Postby bigdog on Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:17 am

I just started keeping snails. However, I have found one empty shell. What could have happened? Will the snail ever leave the shell for some reason? The others are going great!
bigdog

Postby Donya on Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:32 am

Snails can't leave their shells. They are attached and will die if removed, so the only way an empty shell will happen is if it dies.
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby patricia379 on Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:05 am

SGcvn69 wrote:patricia: oh my traumatizing for sure to see that! glad i haven't! i usually leave my dead snails in the tank so their friends can munch on them. sick i know, but hey they clean up dead stuff! so it's beneficial for them too.

I just worry they'd gunk up the water. I do leave dead fish in the fish tank that has physids and they clean that up.

Firekitties if you read this it won't be long until a mess of physids are ready to mail, if you still want them.

I have been overlooking the 29 gal. tank by my work desk and it is swarming! :err: So tomorrow I siphon for the little boogers.
patricia379
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby SGcvn69 on Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:53 am

i leave my dead snails for the others to eat b/c if i took them out it would stink more lol
SGcvn69
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby patricia379 on Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:15 pm

SGcvn69 wrote:i leave my dead snails for the others to eat b/c if i took them out it would stink more lol

And the poor things DO Stink!!! I have two floaters in a net breeding container. One has been floating (since Dec 10th!!) with occasional periods of peeking out and waving tentacles, the other just opens barely and closes it operculum when touched. I know today I will have to do the 'smell test' on one, and am not looking forward to it.
#1 Because I might have lost one of my snail folks :(
#2. Phew! If it has passed. :err:
patricia379
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Donya on Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:48 am

Unfortunately since I have almost no sense of smell I took all mine out (they didn't get eaten) and let them either sit in water for several weeks or dry. My family has some interesting comments about that lol good thing it was the basement and not the living room :roll: I did the "evil deed" last week and finally cleaned out all the shells...bathroom stunk for a little, but it seems that soaking in water for that long decreases the smell. Those were the easiest to clean out actually.
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby SnailMomma on Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:43 am

My two cents....
All my tanks with snails...(Apple Snails, the hitchhikers get to play true or dare with Moby, our Fantail Goldfish...) are at a steady 85 degrees. My maters mate well at that temp, and keeps my livebearing guppies happy too.
Toss a calicium flake (eggshell or a weekend feeder) in front of them... never known ANY snail that would resist that!
Good luck,
:snail: Momma
SnailMomma
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby patricia379 on Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:41 pm

Are Canas more likely to eat the dead snails than Bridgs???

I just got 4 Canas a little while back and one Bridg died and I was busy, and so the next day I was going to do the smell test...and the shell was empty!!!!
:err:

Saved me some work...as I keep the shells. So I was just wondering. :roll:
patricia379
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Dead Snail

Postby Sharp on Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:07 pm

I had my snail in my stock tank with my gold fish. Anyway, my snail was doing great and then after a week I realized that my horses quit drinking out of the tank. I cleaned it this weekend and found only a shell. I was really sad, I liked that snail. To make a long story short, I didn't realize that dead snails smelled so bad, so I am guessing that is why my horses quit drinking. Now I kinda feel sorry for my fish. :cry:
Sharp

Postby SnailMomma on Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:35 am

Easiest way I have found to clean a snail shell... 10% bleach with water, let it sit for an hour. Add 10% more water, swish it around, remove the shell, shake the shell, put it back in the water. Wait another hour. (You can start to feel it loosening it up) Another 10% water in cup, swish it around, remove shell, swish shell around, put back in water. Keep this up until the body slides out. (Doesn't take more than four, five hours.) Because of only using 10% bleach to start with, it doesn't fade the snail's colors.
Should the body JUST be dead and the body is already starting to slide out, I just hold the shell in one hand and let the body slide into the other hand, (no smell) and I let it just drop into my hand. Or the toliet. Then I rinse it with a 10% antibactirial soap really well. Rinse well, really well, and then let it soak in clean water over night. Poof, clean shell.
:snail: Momma
SnailMomma
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Removing the snails body

Postby GarytheSnail1991 on Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:44 am

What i did ith my first dead snail was i cut off the operculum with a scalple (sorry if i spelled it wrong) and i took a spray bottle with bleach and did about 10 sprays on the body. this will actually liquify the body and it won't smell bad when the body drips out, plus the shell wont be bleached.
~--Joe--~

Visit SnailWORLD!

Beardeddragon.org
GarytheSnail1991
Parent snail
Parent snail

Location: Physical: Tampa, Florida Spiritual: Trinidad and Tobago, W.I

Postby Acsuth on Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:28 am

I've not yet had the experience of smelling a dead snail, but it sounds absolutely horrific -- is it as bad as rotten crab meat? Or what would you compare it to? I threw up once after smelling a cup of 3 week old fermented orange juice, it was like sucking sewer fumes into my nose -- is the smell bad enough to cause one to vomit?
Acsuth
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby nannasmom on Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:11 am

Without a doubt.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got..."
nannasmom
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby SnailMomma on Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:15 am

I've picked out dead snails and had their bodies plop whole in my hand... two kids and three husbands kinda toughens a gal... :D
:snail: momma
SnailMomma
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

PreviousNext

Return to Snail-graveyard