Snail dead? How remove from shell?

Well snails die too... Here is a place you can express your feelings, talk about it or whatever you wish...
Public forum (anyone can post here)

Moderators: Donya, Board moderators

Postby Dimitra on Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:16 pm

I was trying to save the shells to my cana sisters this past week. I put them in a bowl of water on the porch so I wouldn't smell them decaying. Well something stole one of my girls! We can't figure out if it was a cat or a raccoon but they took her shell and all. I searched all over for her last night and today. And as for my other cana, she is being as stubborn in death as she was in life and refuses to leave her shell. I gave her a swish today and the body has loosened some. I can't stay near it for very long, really horrible smells make me gag or worst case vomit.

I plan to use her big shell as a planter in the aquarium or out of the aquarium I have yet to decide. I think a small succulent or a cactus could survive in her shell out of the aquarium and would be a beautiful way to display my special girl.
Dimitra
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby SnailMomma on Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:56 pm

Dimitra,
I put the dead snails in a Gladware container, fill it about 2/3 with water, put in a bit of bleach, and start swishing. I then let it sit for awhile. The bleach makes the smell more bearable and it helps loosen the body alot.
I had a mass snail die off this past week, mostly from the guppy tank that was so filthy with those segmented bugs and the white things that swim so fast. I almost grabbed some to scan and send to you guys for an ID, as I have no idea what they are. Since Jim bought me the new computer, I can scan again! And take pictures! Problem was, I didn't think (do you EVER think, Lori? - Shadduup you, you are the one who swallowed the Ramshorn...) as I was splitting up the snails that they would carry the dang bugs to the other tanks... which they did. Now I have to break down one tank at a time, cycle it and then put it's critters back in.
Anyway, back to the snails, after soaking overnight, I dump the old water, rinse the snails in clean water, see who can come out easy, and put those in a bowl of clean hot water. The ones that didn't come out get fresh water and bleach, more swishing and another 24 hours with occasional swishing every few hours until everyone is clean.
Remember, I make sure EVERYONE is really dead first. Only a few of these snails smelled, but their doors were off, and they half hung outside the shell... the smell wasn't far behind.
Just the way I do it.
Hugs,
:snail: Momma
SnailMomma
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Tank Temp

Postby Purrrity on Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:08 am

beader wrote:oh, i don't know about raising the temp too much. technically it could go to 80, but anything over that could be dangerous. 72-75 is ideal for the snails to lead a comfortable life. snails hibernate around 68 or less. any higher than 80 and they're probably on a plate! :roll:

My tank temp is 80 for my fish. Will this be bad for my snails then?
Purrrity

Postby SnailMomma on Mon Jul 05, 2004 6:09 am

Purrrrity,
I keep my tanks between 78 and 85. Not a dead snail from those temps ever. If they died, if was from something else. 80 is ideal in my mind, and the best for breeding according to a breeder I know in Southern California. When I turned my Cana tank to 80, they went crazy mating. Had a few uh... well... this is a family forum, so all I can say is, they were doing stuff that's illlegal in several states. :D
Best wishes,
:snail: Momma
SnailMomma
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby sandiegofishes on Tue Oct 26, 2004 3:36 am

My tank temp is 80 for my fish. Will this be bad for my snails then?

I keep all my fish and snails between 78-86, they love it. I have the Viviparous in my coolest tanks, the brigs do great in the warmer water. 80 is perfectly AOK!!
Barb
Love snails and keep many species, including many colors of Bridgesii, Wild and Gold Canas, Insularums, Haustrum, Asolene spixi, Marisa, Malaysian Trumpets, Ramshorns, pond snails, and several species of Viviparous. Currently run 30 tanks and 6 ponds.
sandiegofishes
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Milky on Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:46 pm

Queation, my dad told me that to save his old apple snails shell he poured salt on it, and let it sit then rinsed it with water....

I dont know what else he did.. but does that work?
or putting it in salt water?
Milky
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Re: Snail dead? How remove from shell?

Postby Bottomfeeder on Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:15 pm

i was in seymores pond in cape cod and i found a big black snail about 3'' across. i saw that the trapdoor was shut so i figured someone accidentally stepped on it while in the water. i picked it up and it smelled so bad tha i involuntarily threw it to the middle of the pond before i even realized it. it was terrible.
Happy Snails! :snail:
BF
Bottomfeeder
Little snail
Little snail

Re: Snail dead? How remove from shell?

Postby SnailKing on Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:43 pm

Put your deceased Snail in a small jar (according to the size of the Snail) and let it soak until (he/she) slides out. Then just bury the innards and keep the shell and wash it good with soap and salt. Make sure you cleanse your hands from all salt if you are going to handle your snails (your living ones I mean).
Lots of snails! At the moment, I haven't named anymore! When I have less snails, I will name again!
SnailKing
Parent snail
Parent snail

Previous

Return to Snail-graveyard