Goodbye Lloyd

Well snails die too... Here is a place you can express your feelings, talk about it or whatever you wish...
Public forum (anyone can post here)

Moderators: Donya, Board moderators

Goodbye Lloyd

Postby LloydTheSnail on Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:14 pm

My first apple snail Lloyd has passed away.

She curled up behind a fake plant and stayed there for a couple of days. An hour a go I noticed she looked as if she has "collapsed into" the shell... she wasn't sitting right. I knocked her with a cleaning magnet, and she fell idle to the ground, her trap hanging open.

I removed her for the tank and no movement. I gently brushed the snails flesh and there was no movement. Not a peep. The trap refused to close. It seems quite certain she is gone. :sad2:

I really loved this little snail. At one point I was able to feed her by holding a little piece of lettuce with my hand and she wasn't phased by it. I'm frankly devastated she has died and not afraid to say I shed a few tears. :cry: I never ever though I'd get upset at a snail dying. :nono:

I knew it would happen within a few years of buying her, due to life expectancy, and because she was of good size when purchased. I had her for under two years and took a huge liking to apple snails. Made two videos of her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FHs5SIDmSI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2XlyFkgtrk

She got the name Lloyd quite simply because it was unique. At the time I was given mis-information about genders, but came to learn she was female. :lol:

Goodbye Lloyd. One of the best lil' pets I've personally owned. :dance:
LloydTheSnail
Parent snail
Parent snail

Re: Goodbye Lloyd

Postby pbgroupie on Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:03 pm

Sorry for your loss. :cry:
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby LloydTheSnail on Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:24 am

Here is the 'tomb' where Lloyd will decompose leaving the shell behind. How long do you think it'll take before its safe to check? Its been 24 hours, I was thinking I should wait between 3 to 7 days. Does that sound about right?
LloydTheSnail
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby pbgroupie on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:33 pm

Depending on how cold it is and whether or not their are any ants or other critters, a week should do.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby LloydTheSnail on Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:43 pm

A week it is then. Quite warm outside, rained a bit yesterday (but it stayed dry). I've seen a couple of tiny bugs heading their way to it and disappearing in the bark. Hard to tell.
LloydTheSnail
Parent snail
Parent snail

Return to Snail-graveyard