R.I.P. Dick and Jane

Well snails die too... Here is a place you can express your feelings, talk about it or whatever you wish...
Public forum (anyone can post here)

Moderators: Donya, Board moderators

R.I.P. Dick and Jane

Postby jellyfish14 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:57 pm

Dick and Jane were two mystery snails I bought when I got my apple snail Sammy about three years ago. Dick and Jane helped produce 31 egg clutches... I guess they were best friends. They just died recently, so they are in the freezer waiting to be buried with all the other pets we've had (a dog, cats, rats, two other mystery snails, a Betta, and goldfish) at the family cottage. Sammy looks a little lonely now. I think he needs some new friends in the tank! I miss the surprise of finding a new egg clutch in the tank, although I sometimes saw them coupled and knew what to expect in a few days.

Dick

Jane
Jenn :)
jellyfish14
Member snail
Member snail

Re: R.I.P. Dick and Jane

Postby LloydTheSnail on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:55 am

Aww sorry to hear that. Did you have any egg clutches?
LloydTheSnail
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby jellyfish14 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:42 am

We originally had four little apple snails and one large apple snail and we had at least 31 egg clutches from the little guys but we didn't let any hatch. They were our first snails so we didn't feel confident about breeding.
jellyfish14
Member snail
Member snail

Postby LloydTheSnail on Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:05 am

Ah. I can understand that, I had two apple snails but made an effort to ensure they were both female (which isn't easy when the pet store stubbornly argued they had no genders :toomuch:). Sadly my oldest died recently.

I know what you mean by the whole looking "lonely" thing. My other snail, being smaller, was constantly riding on the now deceased one and sleeping next to it for protection. Now its alone... it must notice the absence but I wonder if it is any worse off being alone, or if it is more stressed by fish on its own. :roll:
LloydTheSnail
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby jellyfish14 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:44 pm

I'm sorry to hear about Llyod. It would be very sad to lose a big snail. Are you the person who posted "The beauty of an Apple Snail" and "Apple Snail Eating Cabbage" on Youtube?
jellyfish14
Member snail
Member snail

Postby LloydTheSnail on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:41 pm

jellyfish14 wrote:I'm sorry to hear about Llyod. It would be very sad to lose a big snail. Are you the person who posted "The beauty of an Apple Snail" and "Apple Snail Eating Cabbage" on Youtube?

Yeah that's me.
LloydTheSnail
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby jellyfish14 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:05 pm

Again, I'm sorry to hear of Lloyd's passing, but you did make some great videos of him. I loved watching him chase the fish around the tank. I think I'll try making my own snail movies - although they won't turn out as in focus and artistic as yours. Thank you for posting them on Youtube: it helps people see what great pets snails make.
jellyfish14
Member snail
Member snail

Postby LloydTheSnail on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:26 am

jellyfish14 wrote:Again, I'm sorry to hear of Lloyd's passing, but you did make some great videos of him. I loved watching him chase the fish around the tank. I think I'll try making my own snail movies - although they won't turn out as in focus and artistic as yours. Thank you for posting them on Youtube: it helps people see what great pets snails make.

Thanks ^__^

I do recommend filming your snails or any tank inhabitants it is nice to have that footage around for future reference, and people like to see what certain creatures are like before buying them themselves. I watched apple snail videos before buying my own.
LloydTheSnail
Parent snail
Parent snail

Return to Snail-graveyard