Information

On what is/should Stijn spend/waste his time on?

Moderators: pbgroupie, Donya, Stijn

Information

Postby SNAILFAN on Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:14 am

Stijn,
Were did you find all this info about applesnails?
It's not like you had applesnail.net to learn from.
Invertebrats, they may be spineless,but they are the backbone of nature.:snail:
(Avatar from http://www.Gifanimations.com
SNAILFAN
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby Stijn on Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:28 am

Well, I started 5 years ago without knowing anything :)
Luckely I was a student at the university at that time, so I went to the library. I couldn't find anything (there is no Biology depertment here). Finally I found an article in a reference list and that got me started.
Next I started to search for every scientific article I could find and ordered these papers. After a while scientist in the field of applesnails started to contact me and pointed me toward even more articles. The articles I read are listed in the literature section.

The reason I started to compile all this info on this website is because I felt there was a serious gap between the information available to the general public and what was actually know about these snails in the scientific field. Scientific articles are often more difficult to read and mainly contain info about a specific topic (like the structure of a singe organ). My goal is to make this info more easily accessible and put all those little knowledge pieces together.

I also try to add personal experiences and once in a while I do some study on applesnails (like putting eggs under a microscope and making 3D models etc.)

And last, but not least: people like you and many other active participants off the messageboard contribute by sharing their knowledge and experiences. That's really valuable!

For many times I though:"Well, it's almost finished", but then I found new info or got new ideas about what could be improved or added.... so it's kind of endless story :) But it's fun to do and I get much satisfaction by seeing that people like the site and can learn from it. After all I also do courses that will allow me to become teacher....

I still have a big pile of info here that I haven't added. So I can keep busy for years :) (fossils, blood constitutions, parasites, species, old books and articles etc).
Last edited by Stijn on Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stijn
Magic snail
Magic snail

Postby SNAILFAN on Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:31 am

Thanks
Invertebrats, they may be spineless,but they are the backbone of nature.:snail:
(Avatar from http://www.Gifanimations.com
SNAILFAN
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby Stijn on Sun Jan 05, 2003 3:49 am

No need to thank :)
Thank you for your interest and your active participation on this message board. I've seen that you help other people with their questions and problems. I like that!
Stijn
Magic snail
Magic snail

In Appreciation of Stijn

Postby sillysnailmom on Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:43 pm

Thanks Stinj, for doing all this and sharing your knowledge with the world. This site is the best and I have all my snail owning friends visit for the latest info. I check it every day. Thanks! :D
sillysnailmom
Parent snail
Parent snail

Return to In the pipe-line...