Apple snail lipoproteins

On what is/should Stijn spend/waste his time on?

Moderators: pbgroupie, Donya, Stijn

Postby Stijn on Sat Apr 20, 2002 9:57 pm

Well, maybe not of common interest, but I'm thinking of adding a page about apple snail lipoproteins.

So what is a lipoprotein?
It's a particle that consist of lipids (fat) and proteins. In humans, these particles play an important role in the transport of fat and cholesterol in the body. Maybe some of you heard about LDL (low density lipoprotein, the bad guy) and HDL (high density lipoprotein, the good guy).

Anyway, snails have HDL, but it does not play a role in fat and cholesterol transport, but it merely serves as a food source for the embryo. It's almost completely restricted to the albumen (yolk) gland and the eggs of the snail.
Stijn
Magic snail
Magic snail

Postby joanne on Sat Apr 20, 2002 10:35 pm

Well then....It's good to be a fat snail. Right? At least for an egg laying female. :lol:
joanne
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby SnailySarah on Sat Apr 27, 2002 4:30 pm

Humans, (some?most?) primates, and hedgies(im sure some other critters) share an exact lioprotein(sp?)
SnailySarah
Special moderator snail
Special moderator snail

Postby Hippolyta on Fri May 31, 2002 4:28 pm

Lippoproteins sound interesting. I think Sarah needs to do some furthur reading on the subject of primates, natural history and evolution though :razz:
Hippolyta
Little snail
Little snail

Postby linty on Fri May 31, 2002 6:36 pm

Well, it's a good question. But it already has some good answers too :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: linty on 2002-05-31 19:37 ]</font>
linty
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby joanne on Sat Jun 01, 2002 1:56 pm

Sure wish I could know all the answers just by studying up on someone elses best guess.
Will the wild ox be willing to serve you? Will he bed by your manger? Can you bind the wild ox in the furrow with ropes? Or will he plow the the valleys behind you? Will you trust him because his strength is great? Job39:9-11
joanne
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby santituarte on Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:27 pm

I now that it´s a little late to repply but anyway. It would be great to the site to add some info about physiology, especially about lipoproteins.

Those lipoproteins you mention, are actually caroteno-lipo-glyco proteins; ie protein + carotenoid + glucid + lipid. They nourish the embryo and give colour to the egg, this last because of the carotenoid.
I´m currently working with Pscalaris carotenoproteins.

ps, i promise to send the pictures of the eggs
santituarte
Hatchling
Hatchling

Return to In the pipe-line...