new brigs egg hatcher set up

Here one can find 'Do it yourself' guides.

Moderator: Board moderators

new brigs egg hatcher set up

Postby littlecobra1977 on Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:52 pm

Ok I have done the hatcher in a way that to me seems much easier and is quite an easy DIY project. Id say all together yould spend maybe, $4.00 for this set up. The other set up would probly cost you nothing if you have all the supplies on hand. this is the finished set up but ill also post a step by step set up of it to ease the mind. it can be made in any size that fits your needs.

ok for supplies youll need to buy a small tub that holds water $1.00

a hot glue gun, and glue $2.00

and a shett of plastic canvas $.79

now take the canvas and cut it to a smaller size than the tub. with the excess peices make legs for the peice you just cut out. to make the legs is easy but you have to make them a certain way or the legs wont hold the stand up. to start cut across 6 squares and down 10 squares.you do not have to follow this exactly you can make them what ever size you want. this is just to give you a start. make sure its short enought to fit in your tub and tall enough that the eggs wont be in the water. and remember to allow for the eggs in the top, so they arent touching the tubs lid. now repeat 10 times to get the legs. now with the legs cut out its time to glue them together, lay one piece of leg down and grab anouther and form a "T" with the 2 peices and glue down both sides of the "T". theres one leg now do the other 4 legs the same way. now take your top peice and glue the 5 legs to it. 1 in each corner and the 5th in the middle. let it cool down, now flip it over, and put glue on the top of the stand above the lags to insure the legs stay in place. again let it cool down. now take your tub and put some tank water in it, about 1/4 to 1/2 of water should do it. now put all your eggs on your stand, and set the stand in the water inside the tub. place the lid on top of the tub and your done. i do not put holes in my lids, so the humidity inside the tub is really high at least 95%. just remove the lid and look in on the every other day and it will be fine. now stick the tub in a warm spot and be careful not to knock the stand over while moving it. and thats my DIY egg hatcher. its works well for me.
Shane

OH by the way those are all eggs from my dark purple snails.
littlecobra1977
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby Pamelajo on Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:08 pm

I like it. Thanks for the great idea and sharing.
Pamelajo
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby SunsetSnails on Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:08 pm

Wow... what a great idea.

I wish I had that many clutches! LMAO!!!
SunsetSnails
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby SnailTrail on Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:25 pm

Great idea. :D

I bought a couple of laundry net bags a while back for hatching but couldnt think of how to use them but now i'm thinking i'll use them in a similar way to your plastic canvas.

Cheers
Janet :dance:
SnailTrail
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby SunsetSnails on Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:27 pm

I know this is a dumb question, but is the clutch to the furthest right going to be blues??
SunsetSnails
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby littlecobra1977 on Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:42 pm

"I know this is a dumb question, but is the clutch to the furthest right going to be blues?? "

i hope not but there might be a few in there. all the eggs on this stand are from all my purples i got off of aquabid a few weeks back. but im hopeing for almost all purples out of it. it will be hatching in the next day or so, the case is getting to start to be squishy ( stating to collapse i mean)
Shane
littlecobra1977
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby luvfishies on Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:52 pm

Shane, thanks so much for the step-by-step!

I really like this idea. Much neater than my floating styro hatcheries!
>>-)))o> skwij <--CLICK!
luvfishies
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby luvfishies on Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:08 am

I've done something similar to this today. Instead of all the little legs, I just did an "X" support from corner to corner.

Much neater than the floating styro, and my clutches won't be sitting in accumulated water any more! I was not only misting every day, but tipping the styro to remove excess water UNDER the clutches.

Sweet.
>>-)))o> skwij <--CLICK!
luvfishies
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby littlecobra1977 on Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:14 am

hey luv and an added benefit is that the snails will drop to the water instead of staying on the foam and taking a chance at drying out. i had that happen when i first tryed the styro foam method. i know it works for me so i figured id post it again after a year and see if any one else has much luck as i have had. and yes the water does not stay on the stand as with the foam. and with mine i dont mist them at all. the lid has no holes in it so the moisture level is high, but the only draw back is you have to remove the lid and dump the water back in the bottom of the tub. which is not all that big of a hassle if your looking in on them any how.

Shane
littlecobra1977
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby Pamelajo on Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:56 pm

luvfishies wrote:Much neater than the floating styro, and my clutches won't be sitting in accumulated water any more! I was not only misting every day, but tipping the styro to remove excess water UNDER the clutches.

Me too!

Maybe getting some today.
Pamelajo
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby luvfishies on Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:06 pm

Pamelajo wrote:
luvfishies wrote:Much neater than the floating styro, and my clutches won't be sitting in accumulated water any more! I was not only misting every day, but tipping the styro to remove excess water UNDER the clutches.

Me too!

Maybe getting some today.

I got mine at Dollarama, rather than at Michaels or WalMart. Marginally cheaper.

Just be sure the grid size for the platform is large enough for the wee snails to drop through.
>>-)))o> skwij <--CLICK!
luvfishies
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby Pamelajo on Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:19 pm

Thanks Luvs. Going out today.
Pamelajo
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby Katt on Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:20 pm

I love it.
Only if my snails would do there thing! :toomuch:
Juist adout given up on them, thinking of getting new ones, at lest another f. to see if that will help.
Katt
Katt
Little snail
Little snail

Postby Pamelajo on Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:15 pm

Made two small versions of yours just awhile ago.
Pamelajo
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby littlecobra1977 on Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:15 am

so hows is the ease of making the egg hatcher for all of you that are trying it? please show some pics of yours to see what you found easier or just needed an added touch.

Shane
littlecobra1977
Leading snail
Leading snail

Next

Return to DIY guides