aquarium cement like stuff

Here one can find 'Do it yourself' guides.

Moderator: Board moderators

aquarium cement like stuff

Postby firefly on Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:19 pm

I am working on making a prototype of a feeding tool, and I am wondering if there are any cement like compounds that are aquariumsafe. SOmething I guess like clay, but that will air dry and be safe in the water. I want it to sink, doesn't really have to look stoney.

Emily
firefly
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby bethany on Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:14 pm

One choice is marine epoxy. It's two parts which you mix together and they hard to an inert cement. Some are very stiff like a putty, others are a bit more fluid. Some set up & cure quickly, other more slowly. I have a fluid slow setting kind. If I need it to be stiffer and set more quickly I heat it (on top of a hot compact fluorescent light) until it is the consistency I want.

Several companies also make a two part epoxy which is a true putty for use in aquariums. You need to knead the two parts together to mix them. It advertised as ideal for building cave, walls and such out of various materials. Generally they set up fairly quickly. I don't remember how long it takes but the stuff I have did harden promptly.
bethany
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby chrisajohns on Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:06 am

Go to WWW.garf.org They have some very good articles about something they call agrocrete under the heading "how to pages". They use it to build artificial live rock for saltwater tanks. It is very cool and will help raise the ph in your tank. Just be sure to cure it for long enough before using.
chrisajohns
Little snail
Little snail

Postby snailboom on Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:56 am

half an hour for the epoxy. better than waiting for sealant to dry, but not so easy to make water-tight.
If you bite and ravage each other, watch out--in no time at all you will be annihilating each other, and where will your precious freedom be then? (The Message G. 5:15).
snailboom
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby firefly on Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:10 am

Thanks for the replies! I don't really need anything to be water tight, just safe for use in the water. Some of the epoxy stuff sounds good, as does the agrocrete type stuff. I"ll check out that garf site too. Could be interesting.
Sometime, after christmas, I'll look into getting some of this stuff and experimenting.
Emily
firefly
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby angelcobb on Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:15 pm

Sclupey clay could be an option. Its easy to mold and cheep. I use in my aquariums for decorations that I build myself. It sinks. I get mine at walmart. You build what you want and then you bake it in the oven till its hard. You can get it in different colors or paint it.
*Angel
angelcobb
Parent snail
Parent snail

Re: aquarium cement like stuff

Postby ookami_meggle on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:22 pm

Is sculpy clay safe for submersion? I have heard it leaches into the water and isn't good for them. I am new to this so I may be wrong.
ookami_meggle
Leading snail
Leading snail

Re: aquarium cement like stuff

Postby pbgroupie on Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:50 pm

Never used the stuff in my artwork so did a bit of research. I personally probably would not use it but read these articles and make up your own mind:

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art33912.asp

http://www.sculpey.com/faq/qna/faq-159

http://www.sculpey.com/faq/qna/faq-138
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Return to DIY guides