Idea for a cool bare bottom tank

Here one can find 'Do it yourself' guides.

Moderator: Board moderators

Idea for a cool bare bottom tank

Postby Uninformed_Kitty on Sat May 06, 2006 2:42 am

It just popped into my head today that a mosaic would look pretty cool on the bottom of a fish tank. I'm not sure if they make materials that are safe for fish and snails, but I think it would be really neat, and you could make it yourself with whatever design(s) you wanted. And then you could keep aquarium plants in pots, and have statues and things. Does anyone know how doable that would be, and what materials would be good to use? I think I'd like to try it some time in the future. =^_^=

Okay, so this isn't really a DIY "guide," but does it still belong here? I hope it does.

Gosh, I'm getting so many ideas for how to add on to it now, like certain decorations and stuff... I really hope it would work.
"Got it MEMORIZED?"
Uninformed_Kitty
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby marchsunrise on Sat May 06, 2006 3:00 am

That is a cool idea.
I thought about doing that on the outside of a tank once using clear silicone.
But never thought about doing it on the inside. I guess you could get that big tube of silicone that is aquarium safe from the hardware store to do the mosaic with.
It is aquarium sealant in a caulking tube:
It is made by: G E
It is called: Silicone I
It is 100% Silicone Rubber Sealant Clear.
The one I have says window and door.
Indoor/ Outdoor use.
The tube is white. The print on the tube is blue/black/gray/white lettering
I hope this helps.
~~~Dawn
I laugh, I cry, I watch snail TV.... http://hometown.aol.com/flowergirl371/m ... e/dog.html
marchsunrise
Little snail
Little snail

Postby luvfishies on Sat May 06, 2006 3:54 am

Yep. this is totally doable. I've seen people use slate tiles, coloured tiles, etc to "line" the bottom of a tank. Gives a nice effect!
>>-)))o> skwij <--CLICK!
luvfishies
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby griffin on Sat May 06, 2006 11:41 pm

dunno if i'm misinterpreting or something, but you might want to silicone it to size, but not in the tank so that if you wanted to change it around later, that would be an option.
griffin
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby Uninformed_Kitty on Sun May 07, 2006 2:48 am

Nope, I meant a permanent thing in the bottom. I'm not sure it would be a good idea to make it the same size as the bottom and then lay it in. Wouldn't things get stuck in the sides and work their way underneath it?

Are ceramic tiles safe to use in aqariums? I also saw stained glass ones. I'm going to make a small mosiac (like coaster-size) to set into my substrate for my current tank, but I need to make sure my materials are safe. I was thinking plastic (like cut out of a tupperware dish of some sort) for the base, sealant for the grout, and then ceramic and/or stone tiles/chips. Or is there a real grout that would be safe?
"Got it MEMORIZED?"
Uninformed_Kitty
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby griffin on Sun May 07, 2006 3:11 am

true - didn't think about stuff working its way underneath, but if it's a barebottom, i'm guessing it wouldn't be a huge deal to just take it out and clean under once in a while.

i was more commenting on not attaching it to the glass in case you wanted to change it later - kinda trying to think of a way to do the same thing, but not permanently
griffin
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby Uninformed_Kitty on Sun May 07, 2006 6:39 am

I, personally, would hate to have to take it out and clean under it. I'm a very lazy person. ^^; Plus, the way I'm thinking of it has a lot of decorations set on it, and probably a little bit of sand gathered in corners just for looks. It'd be a hassle to take that apart every week.

But maybe you could put it on a piece of styrofoam or something to raise it away from the tank's bottom seal, and then seal the mosaic to the glass around the sides. That way nothing could get under it, but it could be taken apart later, without damaging the original tank. Oh, wait, there's the corners. Hm. I won't delete this paragaph though, because maybe it could help inspire another idea.
"Got it MEMORIZED?"
Uninformed_Kitty
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Cell on Sun May 07, 2006 8:09 pm

you could also cut a thin sheet of glass to size, and put the mosaic on that then drop it in
Cell
Member snail
Member snail

Re: Idea for a cool bare bottom tank

Postby EllyHood on Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:58 am

I know this post is SUPER old, but did you ever do the mosaic thing? How did it turn out? Do you have pictures?
EllyHood
Hatchling
Hatchling

Return to DIY guides