For the absolutely insane

Here one can find 'Do it yourself' guides.

Moderator: Board moderators

For the absolutely insane

Postby jjkolodz on Sun May 21, 2006 3:53 am

Here's what I got folks. Got a pond thing from Home Depot and a bamboo mat from Hobby Lobby. Cost about $100

jjkolodz
Member snail
Member snail

Postby badflash on Sun May 21, 2006 3:57 am

The link you have is for yor personal C:drive. you need to find a web site like photobucket to host the image.
Never mind. I see you fixed it.
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby badflash on Sun May 21, 2006 4:00 am

So what do you do with this other than stand next to it and drink high octane drinks?
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jjkolodz on Sun May 21, 2006 4:10 am

One option is to bathe in it... but i just plan to keep snails and fish in it. Adds a nice sound to the room and if you turn off the room lights the pond lights reflect off the water and reflect onto the ceiling. Also a great conversation piece.
jjkolodz
Member snail
Member snail

Postby Aquaria on Sun May 21, 2006 4:11 am

hehe.. I met a lady at a garage sale(sold me some fish stuff) who told me how, while her roommate was away for a week, set up a huge pond in the living room. The roommate..well...she took issue with a pond in the living room, so it had to be dismantled :lol: I would love to have one but I'm afraid my cat would try to take a bath.

It's cute in it's own quirky way :D The bamboo matt annoys me a bit, but I'm not sure what I'd use as a substitute. Maybe some kind of wood paneling that matched the other furniture, but that'd probably cost quite a bit more.
Aquaria
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jjkolodz on Sun May 21, 2006 4:16 am

I am currently working on replacing the bamboo... it annoys me too :) I am constructing a false front that will look like stone. The top is going to be replaced with tin shingles. Trying to go for a wishing well look. I am thinking about having the filter/pump feed into a suspended bucket so that it looks like it is pouring out.
jjkolodz
Member snail
Member snail

Postby Aquaria on Sun May 21, 2006 4:18 am

Ooh, that would rock! 8) Good luck with it!
Aquaria
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby badflash on Sun May 21, 2006 4:22 am

Stay clear of tin or anything with heavy metals. This deadly for snails.
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jjkolodz on Sun May 21, 2006 4:23 am

Hmm didn't know that about tin. I wanted to do a copper roof (it would give some awesome color as it aged) but I know that's a no no.
jjkolodz
Member snail
Member snail

Postby Aquaria on Sun May 21, 2006 4:33 am

Tin? As far as I know copper is the only metal that is highly deadly to snails.(someone feel free to corrct me if wrong). A few can be harmful in larger quantities, etc. but these are also only being used on the roof above, right? I don't see any harm so long as they don't come into contact with the water(again, someone correct me if wrong).
Aquaria
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jjkolodz on Sun May 21, 2006 4:51 am

I might also be wrong but isn't tin just an alloy of iron and aluminum?
jjkolodz
Member snail
Member snail

Postby littlecobra1977 on Sun May 21, 2006 5:29 am

jjkolodz, LOL I had the same idea last fall and came up with a 90 gallon pond installed in a custom stand I built to hold house plants around it. Heres a couple pics of mine. I have a shop light with 2 day light florecence in it and thats all for lighting most of the time. the light is on a timer On at 7.00am and Off at 8.00pm I use a standard power filter pump to circulate the water.
Inhabitants are swordtails, a crawdad, a few mollies, 60+ swordtail babies, and a 12 inch pleco, and pond snails. I have pothos, philidendrium, a lily or 2, english ivy, canna lilies and a few african violets growing around and in the water. I like it but the pump can get noisy when it comes time to clean it. But other than that humidity is a big deal with it. But I love it. OH yeah its in our bedrrom to boot so its nice to wake and see such a site, in the room with ya. At least for the first 4 months or so. Now its time to move most of the stuff out to my outdoor pond and the other soon to be pond.
Good Luck and enjoy it
Shane
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/ ... 0_0174.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/ ... 0_0200.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/ ... 6Small.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v627/ ... 0_0278.jpg
great traders or sellers, angjo72,rubydoo62,leo,bethany,theres a few others if i forgot you let me know and ill add ya
littlecobra1977
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby inging13 on Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:15 am

this might seem silly...but how do you keep them from getting out?

I want one!!! but hubby says under no circumstances. ;)
inging13
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby Uninformed_Kitty on Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:10 am

inging13 wrote:this might seem silly...but how do you keep them from getting out?

My snails can get out of the tank any time they want, but they never do. They like to make trips to the surface at night, and that's it. (Mine are brigs.)
"Got it MEMORIZED?"
Uninformed_Kitty
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby jjkolodz on Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:40 am

I just keep the water in my "pond" about six inches low and they've never crawled out. I've also never had a problem with them climbing out of any of my fish tanks either... but I suppose it is a possibility.
jjkolodz
Member snail
Member snail

Return to DIY guides