make floating fish food sink

Here one can find 'Do it yourself' guides.

Moderator: Board moderators

make floating fish food sink

Postby Pollux on Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:52 pm

note: this is probably pretty obvious but i thought i'd post it as i can't sleep and have nothing else to do. this idea is for people who feed their snails or bottom-feeding fish flaked fish food. i know apple snails can eat floating fish food by making a little funnel with their foot which is kind of funny to watch but i think they prefer their food a bit easier to snack on and also it's quite satisfying watching them gobble up a nice big flake. if it's floating i guess it's easier to remove what they don't eat but in my tanks it just gets stuck in the plants and makes a big mess. So i tried soaking it - takes too long. i tried squishing it in the water - really messy and not all that effective. of course you can grind it up in your fingers into tiny little flakes and they sink quite easily and are good for little bottom-feeding fish but i like to make the big flakes sink.

to make floating fish food sink i fill an old, empty, photo camera film canister with some tank water, add the flakes, shake/invert for a few seconds and then poor it all back into the tank. The flakes sink right down.
Pollux
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby sarah1031 on Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:45 pm

Just make sure that the chemical from the film are wached off the canister cause I cought a little fish in one of them once when I was little and the chemicals killed it
,.... :cry:

Then my 'father' called me a murder for a month to rub it in my face... i was only like 7... and he was the one that gave me the darn thing to catch the fish in :angry:
sarah1031
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Pollux on Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:13 am

Just make sure that the chemical from the film are wached off the canister
i should have mentioned that :iambetter:. i washed mine thoroughly and then let it sit covered in moist bicarb soda for a while.
Pollux
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Pollux on Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:14 am

sarah1031 wrote:Just make sure that the chemical from the film are wached off the canister cause I cought a little fish in one of them once when I was little and the chemicals killed it
,.... :cry:

Then my 'father' called me a murder for a month to rub it in my face... i was only like 7... and he was the one that gave me the darn thing to catch the fish in :angry:

good grief, what a horrible, horrible childhood memory. *offers very big hug*
Pollux
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Annie Anderson on Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:22 am

poor little girl, that's a terrible thing to say to a child. Children take things to heart so easily and a remark that may be said in the moment as a "joke" may affect the child for many years to come. I hope your father has realized his mistake and apologized to you. Please try to forgive him too, for your own sake. You were NOT a murderer, you were just a little girl. Geez, I sometimes think of putting something in my tanks and hear a little voice say, stop, is that clean for them? I've sure done my share of stupid things to my fish and snails and to my kids too. If they remind me of it or tell me it hurt them, I always apologize and tell them that I shouldn't have said that to them even tho I was only kidding or was angry at something else at the time-kids don't always have too much of a sense of humor till they get a little older. We're only human, tho, and do the best we can with what we know at the time. God bless you honey. :D
Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby sarah1031 on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:27 pm

oops... missed a typo... *****washed*** not wached

Its ok now... I know I didn't kill it on purpose.... I don't speak to him any more for other reasons though.

I spray my floating fish food with water from the tank after I put it in... with a little pipette thing. Your idea sounds alot easlier though.. lol
sarah1031
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Pollux on Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:16 am

oops... missed a typo... *****washed*** not wached
that's ok, typos are my middle name (no actually it's Mary hehe :))

Its ok now... I know I didn't kill it on purpose....
good, i'm really glad your ok about it - you don't want to know the number of fish and snails i've killed through ignorance :err:, you did it because of your innocence, that's nothing to feel ashamed or guilty about.

I spray my floating fish food with water from the tank after I put it in... with a little pipette thing. Your idea sounds alot easlier though.. lol
lol, that's one way i never thought of before i came up with the shaking, i thought i had tried everything. ah, the limitless imaginative capabilities of the human mind - hahahaha :D.
Pollux
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Re: make floating fish food sink

Postby ookami_meggle on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:27 pm

That would be good for feeding my babies. I put some food that floats in there and it takes them forever to get to the food. If it was on the bottom they would be able to get to it easier.
ookami_meggle
Leading snail
Leading snail

Return to DIY guides