Nursery Tank Setup

Here one can find 'Do it yourself' guides.

Moderator: Board moderators

Nursery Tank Setup

Postby Tampa-Terry on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:30 am

I wanted to share with everyone how I set up my nursery tank on the back porch. I have 90 Cana babies that are growing quickly.

My nursery tank is a 35-gallon storage container that I bought for a few bucks at Wal-Mart. In reality, it holds 30 gallons of water. Not quite big enough, but the daily water changes help. (grin)

The money I saved on my nursery tank I spent on filtration. I'm using a Cascade 600 Internal Filter (rated for tanks up to 50 gallons) ...

Not shown in the pic is the spray bar that comes with it. In the picture, the Cascade 600 is standing up, but I lay it on its side so that the spray bar shoots the water across the bottom of the tank so that the poop doesn't accumulate on the bottom. I'm also using a HOT (stands for "Hang On the Tank) Magnum 250 (rated for tanks up to 50 gallons).

I use a Mini Jet 600 for my daily water changes ...

The Mini Jet is about the size of the palm of my hand. I attach some flexible tubing to it. It drains my tank at 150 gallons per hour ... slow enough that the babies can take a gentle slide down the tank as the water level drops. I also use the Mini Jet to return treated (conditioned) water to the tank.

Both filters have a sponge that's pretty easy to get to and clean. I rinse the sponges every day.

The tank I've modified to meet my needs.

I cut out the center of the top of the storage container. Then I screwed the top on. Doing so serves two purposes. It keeps the snails from escaping, and it keeps the container from bowing out, due to the pressure and weight of the water. I put lucky bamboo in the water, hoping that it would suck some of the nutrients out of the water and make the water more clear (not cloudy). I'm sure it does, but I'm not yet able to quantify to what degree. The bottom of the tank is bare. I have crushed coral in a media bag, sitting on the bottom of the tank. Every time I do a water change, I swirl the bag around a bit to release some of the calcium into the water. On the left side of the tank you can see the HOT Magnum 250. On the right side of the tank you can see the Cascade 600. In the upper left-hand corner of the picture you can just barely see a heater. If you look closely, you can see some peas next to the bag of crushed coral and in the tera cota pot that holds the lucky bamboo. You'll notice NO POOP on the bottom! (grin)

Here's a different angle ...

You can see the spray bar in this picture My nursery tank is on the back porch. It's pretty easy to drain the tank ... right out the back door onto some grateful plants. (grin)

Another pic ...

If you'd like some size perspective, the black Rubbermaid stock tank is 48" long by 24" high and 24" deep. It holds 100 gallons and houses 5 goldfish. The blue storage container holds potting soil and serves as a seat. It's where we sit to feed and enjoy our goldfish. On the left side of the goldfish tank you can see a "Black Magic" taro plant in a pot sitting in the water. I tried giving some to my snails, but they turned their nose up at it. Along the back of the tank you can see a pothos (house plant) vine running the length of the tank. When I do a partial water change on the goldfish tank, you can see the roots the pothos has put down into the water. It's sucking up its share of nutrients. What you can't see real well is all the anacharis and hornwort I have floating on the surface. They're aquatic plants I've added to the goldfish tank to improve water quality and to give the goldfish something to nibble on. It also provides them with some cover (privacy).

Here's a picture of three of the guys ...

Anyway, i just wanted to share and give you all some ideas if you decide to raise some babies. It took me a while to put together a solution that works for me. I can't *stand* a dirty tank or cloudy water. On the other hand, I don't want to spend hours and hours inefficiently doing water changes.
Last edited by Tampa-Terry on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tampa-Terry
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby luvfishies on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:34 am

Very very nice!

Excellent setups, and lovely clear water ;)
>>-)))o> skwij <--CLICK!
luvfishies
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby peggyd3 on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:42 am

Very nice set up! you have some gorgeous goldfish!
:wink: I like your 'bench' :lol:
peggy
Peggy
passionate about purple!
www.northernsnails.com

http://www.northernsnails.com/images/up ... age001.gif
sig banner courtesy of Melody! thank you!
peggyd3
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Annie Anderson on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:42 am

WOW!!! :o :o . I forgot you lived in Florida and when you said you had your babies on your porch, I thought, must be heated! Our snails would be frozen solid-lol! What a beautiful setup. You must feel like you're in a rain forest when you sit out there. The baby tank is perfect and I love the goldfish tank. And all the pictures and explanations--you have made it so easy for any of us who had thought of doing it. When members would talk about getting a Rubbermaid container with a filter, heater and airstone, I kept picturing something dark that you wouldn't be able to see into--I don't know why, I know you can get clear ones :roll: . It looks like a little paradise out there and those babies and goldfish must be so happy! And you're right, that baby cana tank is spotless. Excellent job, great, I can't think of enough good things to say about it. Just thank you so very much for sharing all those pictures with us all! :dance: :dance: :dance:
Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Pollux on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:43 am

that's awsome! how come the snails dont climb over the lip and out? what is the big black tub with goldfish made for? is it made for fish? having the spray bar aimed at the bottom is really clever. so is having a pump to do water changes with *goes pump shopping*.
Pollux
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Tampa-Terry on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:01 am

Thanks, everyone!!! I really struggled to find a working solution. I went through a few filters before I found two that did the job. I can't believe how much they're able to collect.

Pollux, the only place the babies could crawl out is on the left, where the intake and return pipes on the Magnum enter the water, and I'll probably fix that one area tomorro. I had to cut the top of the container to accomodate the Magnum. Other than that one area, the snails would have to crawl UP first, and then they'd have to crawl upside down along the bottom/inside of the top of the storage container before they could crawl up and over. Hopefully that makes sense. If not, let me know and I'll try again. (grin)
Tampa-Terry
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Annie Anderson on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:05 am

why would they ever want to crawl OUT? You're lucky you don't have wild snails crawling IN-lol
Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Tampa-Terry on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:19 am

Making sure the guys couldn't crawl out and damage themselves was a high priority for me. Like a lot of other people here, I have Snail Escapee horror stories. Speedy, my Cana girl started off in the goldfish tank ... until one night she escaped over the side and landed on the one, tiny spot on the whole porch that *wasn't* carpeted!!! I woke my boyfriend up at 2:00 am in the morning, crying, to tell him that I didn't think Speedy was going to make it. I cried for two hours. In the 10 years he's known me, he's never seen me cry like that.

Anyway, Speedy did survive and went on to bear progeny. She got upgraded to her own tank ... with a cover, of course! (grin) She's still my favorite snail.
Tampa-Terry
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Pollux on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:30 am

Tampa-Terry wrote:Other than that one area, the snails would have to crawl UP first, and then they'd have to crawl upside down along the bottom/inside of the top of the storage container before they could crawl up and over. Hopefully that makes sense.
yep can see that, i just thought maybe they would, but bamybe annies right that they wouldn't want to lol. also i guess they are too little to have babies yet?
Annie Anderson wrote:You're lucky you don't have wild snails crawling IN-lol
hahahahahahah:D
aw poor speedy. im glad she recovered.
Pollux
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby rpilla001 on Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:22 am

Great setup
Keep on Sliming
Sincerely
Rpilla
rpilla001
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby MamaSnails05 on Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:13 am

I like it!!!!! GREAT JOB!!! :wink:
Nancy
I love applesnail.net this website is just the cherry on top!!!!

*OH!! But the babys are sooooooo Cute!*
MamaSnails05
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Tampa-Terry on Tue May 08, 2007 7:05 am

Okay, here's the latest and greatest ... a snail extractor ...

A "snail extractor," you might ask? How many times have you been cleaning a tank, and there's one stubborn hold-out clinging to the side of the tank for dear life? When I pull my Cascade filter out of the water, I'm very careful to check that there are no babies underneath or behind the filter. As careful as I am, if I missed one, it would very likely get crushed or smashed because it takes some strength and leverage to break the suction-cup seal of the Cascade filter.

So if I do have a baby (or even an adult!) who's stubbornly holding out (or holding on, as the case may be), I'll pull out my handy, dandy snail extractor and slip it gently under his foot.

If you're slow enough and gentle enough, they don't even jerk or clamp down. I've definitely refined my technique. (grin)

The bottom line is that a snail extractor used with good technique will not damage their feet.

Has anyone figured out by now that when I'm not taking care of baby Canas that I enjoy gardening? (grin)
Tampa-Terry
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Pollux on Tue May 08, 2007 8:45 am

good idea:D
Pollux
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Annie Anderson on Tue May 08, 2007 10:16 pm

The people on this forum have the best ideas! That's great Terry! Those little stinkers can really stick--especially the spixies :snail:
Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby snailio on Tue May 08, 2007 10:46 pm

That's a terrific idea. Those are so thin and flexible they should work great. Thanks for the tip.
snailio
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Next

Return to DIY guides