If you build it.....

Here one can find 'Do it yourself' guides.

Moderator: Board moderators

If you build it.....

Postby sonja on Tue May 29, 2007 7:21 am

they will lay! Or should I call this one "Be Careful What You Wish For"?

Either way it would seem that my snails have entered me in the "(Egg) Sack of the Day Club". So I built a nursery for them. I used a Sterlite brand see through container (15"L x 11"w x 9"h) with a modified Breeder Box (the type with the slatted bottom) to suspend the eggs above the water level. A sponge filter helps keep the tank clean and water moving, and the lid keeps the humidity and near 100%. (And don't forget the submersible heater!!) The tank, if full would hold around 3½ gallons but I'm running it a gallon low for obvious reasons.

I have hatched out 4 sacks so far and the young are doing great! See the pics below....

SONJA

sonja
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby Jeweller on Tue May 29, 2007 8:32 am

WOW :o So many eggs!!!
Look forward to seeing the progress.....
Jeweller
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby Katalyst on Tue May 29, 2007 4:59 pm

I am in the same exact boat....I have clutches everywhere lol. Now it would seem they are even hiding them the little brats lol. How is the breeder box attached to the storage container? That is a fantastic idea! I am going to do the same thing today, thanks for the great tip! Good luck with the babies it looks like you are going to have snails everywhere quite soon! :lol: :o
Kate
Katalyst
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Annie Anderson on Tue May 29, 2007 10:45 pm

What a good idea for a hatchery for lots of eggs---LOTS of eggs! :o :o . A few of those clutches are huge! Where did the female keep all of those eggs? :o Good luck! Cute little babies too! :D
Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby terribryant on Wed May 30, 2007 2:09 pm

This is an awesome idea! The heater takes care of the humidity requirement too so you don't have to use your light strip....I'm off to Wal-mart!

Terri
terribryant
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby sonja on Wed May 30, 2007 10:24 pm

Katalyst wrote:How is the breeder box attached to the storage container?

Two small stainless steel screws, but I would recommend using zip ties, or wire (neither of which I had on hand that day). I drilled a hole through the breeder box and through the side of the "tank" and fastened it through that. I should mention that the breeder box has been cut down to 2" since baby snails and egg sacks don't seem to need much head room and it keeps the box higher for more water room below.
Katalyst wrote:Good luck with the babies it looks like you are going to have snails everywhere quite soon!

Thanks! In fact, I am going to be setting up a grow out tub in my basement very soon!

Annie wrote:Where did the female keep all of those eggs?

That would be females.... LOL. I have twin 30g breeder tanks with about 18 assorted colors in each.

Terri wrote:This is an awesome idea! The heater takes care of the humidity requirement too so you don't have to use your light strip....I'm off to Wal-mart!

I'm glad you like it! I have these MacGyver-istic tendancies to coming up with solutions. And for lighting I use a desk lamp pointed in the general vicinity.

You know.... one of these run with substrate- or change out the sponge filter for an undergravel setup- would be great for a compact aquarium (3½g) for a fish or two and/or a snail or two. Hmmmm......

SONJA
sonja
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby snailio on Wed May 30, 2007 10:35 pm

Very nice set-up. I don't think I've ever seen Sterlite by me but you can bet I'm going to start looking! :)
snailio
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby sonja on Wed May 30, 2007 10:44 pm

snailio wrote:Very nice set-up. I don't think I've ever seen Sterlite by me but you can bet I'm going to start looking! :)

It's a Rubbermaid competitor, if that helps at all....

SONJA
sonja
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby snailio on Wed May 30, 2007 10:46 pm

Thank you.
snailio
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby luvfishies on Thu May 31, 2007 4:05 am

Very kewl idea, and one I'll sure be trying once my gals start deciding it's Spring!
>>-)))o> skwij <--CLICK!
luvfishies
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby bettaqueen on Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:19 am

like Sonja mentioned . Sterlite is a Rubbermaid competetor. You can get them at your local walmart
bettaqueen
Leading snail
Leading snail

Return to DIY guides