Homemade Gel Packs

Here one can find 'Do it yourself' guides.

Moderator: Board moderators

Homemade Gel Packs

Postby badflash on Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:50 am

I just made a bunch of Gel packs from a pair of Orex pants, some boric acid, and a vacuum sealer.

Orex makes disposable clothing used in hospitals and nuclear power plants. The stuff disolves in boiling water. If you take a pair of the pants, put them in a big cook pot and add a gallon of hot water you can melt them. Just turn on the heat and bring them to a boil. After about ten minutes and a little stirring, all that is left is a little thread. You can toss the thread out.

Cool in down with a bunch of ice to near room temperature.

Disolve 8 tablespoons of 20 muleteam borax into 2 cups of water. Zap it in the microwave and disolve as much as possible. Stir this into the melted pants. It will gel up and turn into the product sold as "slime".

Dump as much as needed into a vacuum bag, put it on your vacuum sealer and suck & seal. Toss it in the freezer and you are ready.

Of course you won't be able to resist playing with the stuff.

Try it!
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby MonknSharona on Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:56 pm

What an interesting concept!!! But I just have to clarify.... boiling pants, yes? Actual pants? I know, I know. You described them but I'm just trying to picture boiling pants. :)

It's amazing how things work! Sounds like a great idea!!
Fids:Sharona(Oranda)
Aik(betta)
A bunch o snail kids
Levi,Diablo,Gordon,PKiddy(cats)
Heidi(GSMD)
Ruby(SI Ekkie)
Paisley('tiel)
Posey(Albino IRN)
www.eversoledesign.com
www.thecreaturefeature.com
MonknSharona
Member snail
Member snail

Postby crystal blue on Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:36 pm

WOW! What a great idea.

I have a receipe for slime around here somewhere that was from pre-school. Come to think of it.................I should have one for molding clay and finger paint, too.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I wander where I put them? It's been a long time..............I'll find them and give it a try.
I don't think I'll be able to get disposable pants. :wink:
crystal blue
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby badflash on Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:22 am

I just took a gallon of the slime I made and added a pint of rubbing alcohol. It mixed in really easy and make it freeze a lot softer.

The stuff I use can be seen at http://www.orex.com/pdf/scrubs-modesty%20garments.pdf

They are the long scrubs.
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Return to DIY guides