snail laying bin above tank

Here one can find 'Do it yourself' guides.

Moderator: Board moderators

snail laying bin above tank

Postby Annie Anderson on Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:09 am

My tank is overstocked (what else is new? :wink: ) so I couldn't drop my water level enough for the cana girls to lay comfortably. I came up with this solution--borrowing some from another member--to make it big enough for my cana girls. My hubby Ray replaced the glass on the back part of the tank cover with plexiglass and cut a big hole in it at the back. I put a Gladware bin over the hole. The light holds the front down and he added a ledge at the back to let the girls rest if necessary. There is also a big rock on top to hold it in place and it's glued to the plexi. Here are the pics to make it easier to understand:

This is the view from the left side of the tank. The plexiglass is on the back part with the light on top. You can see the hole under the Gladware bin and the little shelf in the back:

This is from the right side of the tank:

This is the back of the tank. Don't worry about those white bars, they're the stair balistrades :wink: . You can pretty clearly see how the bin is bigger than the hole so there is a piece of plexiglass shelf underneath it. It's glued on but the snails are so heavy that I also have a wooden ruler under the shelf for support:

This is the front view--you can see the stairs in back. The laying bin is behind the light. Those other two bins in front are nursery bins. There are baby spixies and diffusas in them. As you can see, one cana and one diffusa female have already used the bin to lay their eggs!

Close up of the front bin. The bright red eggs on the left are the cana's and the paler pink ones on the right are the diffusa's:

I hope this can help someone else who can't drop their water line enough. Spoiled snailies! :dance: :dance:
Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Re: snail laying bin above tank

Postby Steph on Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:31 am

That's great!

Does it get too humid in there, or does that not bother them?

-Stephanie
Steph
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby pbgroupie on Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:06 am

That is an awesome setup Annie! That Ray is a handy guy. :yes: (Good thing you told me about the stair rungs---I thought they were the bars to Ray's cage. :wink: )
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby Annie Anderson on Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:59 am

Geez Suz, I don't keep his cage in the living room! He keeps it a mess! It's in the garage where he can bunk in with his best friend, his Chevy Impala SS! :roll: :wink:

(I blanked out on stair rungs :oops: . We always called them "barreaux". Some of my mother's french slang that sticks in my head :roll:
Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Annie Anderson on Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:24 am

Steph wrote:That's great!

Does it get too humid in there, or does that not bother them?

-Stephanie

I haven't seen it bothering them Steph--the walls and glass top are humid too and it never stopped them from laying. It's cleaned and wiped out every week when the water is changed and so far, so good--fingers crossed :yes:
Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Return to DIY guides