Calcium Melt-aways

Here one can find 'Do it yourself' guides.

Moderator: Board moderators

Calcium Melt-aways

Postby bettakeeper91 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:26 pm

Here is a great food recipe for all you mystery snail owners out there. Here it is:
Ingredients:
3-5 crushed calcium pills
1 crushed algae disk
A couple of crushed fish flakes (optional)
1 teaspoon of honey

Add all the ingredients together in a microwave-safe bowl, mix them until they all stick together (this won’t be pretty, but it will get better). Microwave all the ingredients for 20 seconds and stir until they are nicely mixed together. *For the next step you have to work as fast as possible, the mix will harden within minutes* Pour the mixture into small portions about the size of the original algae disk on tinfoil and put in the freezer to set. Wait about an hour to let them freeze before feeding on to your snails. Keep them in a re-sealable bag or container in the freezer. Just drop one in the tank and watch the snail chow down! I gave one to my snail the other day and he loved it. It attracts even the pickiest of snails to get a good intake of calcuim for their shell. They love the sweetness of the honey and honey has natural sugars in it so it is 100% safe. Do not however, give your snails normal white sugar! Anyways, enjoy and tell me what you and your snails think!
bettakeeper91
Hatchling
Hatchling

Re: Calcium Melt-aways

Postby bettakeeper91 on Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:15 pm

I have an all new recipe! Tell me what you think!

Dog Food Crispies
Ingredients:
1TBSP dog food- crushed
3-5 calcium pills- crushed
Few pinches of fish flakes
1 1/2 TSP honey
Few pinches of Rice Crispies- crushed

Add the ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl. Make sure all the ingredients are mixed together with the honey and microwave it for 20 seconds. Take it out and form little disks about the size of a penny. You will need to use your hands. This step is quite difficult, but you really have to pack them in so they stay together. Like making snowballs! Place the disks on tinfoil or plastic wrap and place them in the freezer. Store them in the freezer and just give one to your snail when you are ready! Tell me what you think!
bettakeeper91
Hatchling
Hatchling

Return to DIY guides