My new hatchery / growing on tank

Here one can find 'Do it yourself' guides.

Moderator: Board moderators

My new hatchery / growing on tank

Postby auzzyboy on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:22 am

Hi all iv got a 60lt tank that iv divided in 3 x 20lt sections with Perspex, hundreds of 2mm holds dried in the Perspex to allow water movement around the hole tank iv also got 3 mini spong filters 1 for each compartment. That will be the only filter system in the tank. I'm unsure yet wether to put any gravle in there, with this set up can I hatch out 1/2 a clutch in each compartment. The tank has been divided up so I can keep colours separated and keep Cana superet from diffusa. The snails will be in there till they are the right size to give to the fish shop iv spoken to 4 shops and they are all willing to take them off my hands. Each compartment will have a breeding net in aswell just to hatch them in untill they can come out to there 20lt compartment. I no ill have lots of water changes to do ect ect. But will it be ok? Thanx all
auzzyboy
Parent snail
Parent snail

Re: My new hatchery / growing on tank

Postby pbgroupie on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:25 am

Had to get out my English/English dictionary to find out what Perspex was (acrylic, plexiglass). :toomuch: Sounds like it may work just fine. I'd love to see some pics of it.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby auzzyboy on Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:48 am

Sorry keep forgetting most of you are from the US lol well iv cleand the tank and gravle got the Perspex cut to size and drilled just waiting for some tank sealant and the spong filters to come from eBay and I'll get it all assembled at the weekend and I'll post some pics up. Should I put the gravle in the tank?
auzzyboy
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby pbgroupie on Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:11 am

That's really up to you. Since it's going to be mainly a hatchling/grow out tank, barebottom might be easier to keep clean. The hatchlings won't have to hide from other fish since it will be snail only.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby auzzyboy on Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:17 am

Ok thank you I'll have a think about it and get them pics taken at the weekend and post them up
auzzyboy
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby auzzyboy on Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:01 am

all done, water in just got to upload the pics will do it tomoz i must say it hase come together better than pland.
auzzyboy
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby auzzyboy on Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:28 am

auzzyboy wrote:all done, water in just got to upload the pics will do it tomoz i must say it hase come together better than pland.

I'm struggling to upload the pics on line I use photo bucket but I think it's playing up can any 1 recommend another free photo hosting sight so I can get my photos uploaded on hear thank you all :idea:
auzzyboy
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby auzzyboy on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:00 am

i think iv done it, please comment on them if you think somthink isent right iv never made a hatchery/grow out tank befor thanx all, "o" i allso said i was going to put breeding nets in each compartment iv scraped that idear and come up with the eggs on top please comment and thanx again.
auzzyboy
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby pbgroupie on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:16 am

I'm gob smacked! :o It's lovely and very professional. Well done! :hey:
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby auzzyboy on Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:16 pm

I just gotta hope it works lol I must admit it come out better than I planed . If all goes well I should have some baby :snail: :snail: :snail: :snail: :snail: in there by the 10th or soon after
auzzyboy
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby pbgroupie on Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:28 pm

In fact, I like it so much I'd like to put this thread in the DIY section so hold on, we're going for a little ride.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby auzzyboy on Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:47 pm

auzzyboy wrote:I just gotta hope it works lol I must admit it come out better than I planed . If all goes well I should have some baby :snail: :snail: :snail: :snail: :snail: in there by the 10th or soon after

I think it's working my eggs are going moldy and if you look closely you can see dark dots in the eggs :wasntme: :snail: :snail: :snail: :snail: :snail:
auzzyboy
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby auzzyboy on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:43 am

Will the baby's be able to go thorough the plastic canvers ok?
auzzyboy
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby auzzyboy on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:57 pm

i think they will hatch in the next 48 hours so could do with knowing the above please any 1 or should i swish them in the water?
auzzyboy
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby pbgroupie on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:08 pm

Sorry, yes they should drop right through the mesh holes and into the tank with no worries. Of late it's a one-woman operation around here and I try to check in several times a day.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Next

Return to DIY guides