About This Section (finally!)

Marine snails in this section.

Moderator: Board moderators

About This Section (finally!)

Postby Donya on Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:34 am

I have been a bit slow at getting to this, but I've finally gotten to it. From what I have seen, there are a fair number of marine people out there in hiding. There are some good marine forums out there that dominate for general info and fish care, but there isn't a whole lot of snail discussion. It seems like a good world to explore, and it is very underexplored by most aquarium folks. This forum will hopefully serve for hosting topics like:

- information on marine snail species ("and I thought that thing would only grow to 2 inches!")

- personal experience with different species ("my cowrie ate my other snail!")

- comparisons between marine and freshwater snails

- identification (I know there are shell collectors out there!)

- any other conversation topic pertaining to marine snails (how about captive breeding efforts that are published on periodically? Or deep sea snails)

To say up front though, there were some concerns that the following topics not be addressed here in detail:
- marine tanks in general, such as fish-only
- how to set up a marine tank
- help with marine equipment and whatnot

Don't let that discourage anyone interested in starting into keeping marine snails though! There are great forums out there for those last 3 topics, my personal favorite being http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?s=e4d71e683aa4a81c83483d1c2883b8d1&showforum=72. They have a good saltwater section with tons of useful stickies (but they don't really do snails). The main reason for keeping this part of the forum purely snail-related is that how-to and tank setup threads tend to eat up other saltwater sections (check out TFF as an example). If anyone else has some good saltwater sites or forums they recommend as help for beginners, please post a link or two! Maybe a sticky with a list of those sites would be good. What do you guys think?

I'll kick off this forum soon with some of my limited experiences in marine snails. I hope others will trickle in over time :)
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Return to Marine snails