Zebra Turbos!

Marine snails in this section.

Moderator: Board moderators

Zebra Turbos!

Postby Donya on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:32 pm

I am still trying to find a species name for these guys, since usually they are just labeled as Trochus sp. or Turbo sp. I am leaning towards Turbo undulatus, but not sure yet. Anyway, as marine snails go, this is the cana-equivalent: they eat like a pigs and love to walk on hands :wink:

This one is just a baby. They get larger, but tuntil I know the species name I'm not sure what the maximum size is. One of the things I find interesting in comparing Turbo species to freshwater snails is their control over the cephalic tentacles. Apple snail tentacles are wavey without much direction and are limp noodles out of the water, but turbo snails have an amazing amount of control over their feelers both in and out of the water. I figure it must be a difference in the strength of the current they're adapted for.

So, if anyone out there has a nice big seashell collection with species labels.... :help:
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby SnailTrail on Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:56 pm

Very pretty snail.....I didn't know marine snails could have a nice hand stroll like freshwater snails. :lol:
SnailTrail
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby Donya on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:05 am

You have to be a bit more careful about not letting them dry out, but Turbos are quite friendly. :dance: Other types like marine Nerites and Margarita snails can go for a walk on hands as well. The only snails it wouldn't be advisable with would be those that can jab/bite or timid ones that stress easily (Astrea species).
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby SnailTrail on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:11 am

Donya wrote:The only snails it wouldn't be advisable with would be those that can jab/bite.

:err: jabbing and biting snails.

I'm a big fan of nature shows and my major idol is David Attenborough. I wish he would show some jabbing snails with all the nice technology they use nowadays.
SnailTrail
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby Donya on Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:37 am

I'll try to get a pic later today of one of my rotten little conch youngsters waving it's barb (operculum) around trying to jab me :wink: :lol:
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby snailboom on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:44 am

oooh. wish I had time for a SW tank.
If you bite and ravage each other, watch out--in no time at all you will be annihilating each other, and where will your precious freedom be then? (The Message G. 5:15).
snailboom
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby luvfishies on Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:13 am

:o MG Donya, those are gorgeous!

I've got a couple of SW tanks just "doing time" here......might be time to get them fired back up again :D
>>-)))o> skwij <--CLICK!
luvfishies
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby demented_lullaby on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:48 pm

Hey Donya,

Ever since you told me about Turbo snails being friendly awhile ago I've wanted one lol! I can't wait to set up a SW tank :). That little fellow looks quite happy! Are they hard to breed?
~Tales of Legendia~
"brother and sister"

...Forever and a day...

PUFFERZPWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111one
demented_lullaby
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Donya on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:58 pm

All sw snails are extreemly difficult to breed because of the veliger larvae stage. To date I have seen evidence exactly once of having baby marine Nerites actually turn into micro-snails, so it's not something I would count on. Ones that tend to spawn in aquaria are Margarites and Astrea snails (which can actually populate a tank significantly under the right conditions). Turbos may spawn occasionally in small aquaria, but I doubt it.

This may be irrelevant, but if you want to jump into sw for the first time I really recommend taking a buzz by the TFF saltwater forum (http://www.fishforums.net - scroll down to the marine section). Just keep in mind that when they say "it'll cost you $1000 minimum for a nono", that's if it's a showcase nano reef. Saltwater snails in a tub with some liverock for filtration is a different, much cheaper story (as long as you don't add fish).
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby demented_lullaby on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:26 pm

Hey hey! Thanks I'll check that one out! I've been reading lots of SW stuff, you had refered me to other forums awhile ago as well I've been lurking hehe!

It will be a long while before I take the plunge into salt water/reef keeping aside from raising my GSP's salinity. Maybe more than a year even..luckily my gf is very handy with tanks and equipment so when we decide to take the plunge we are going to go all out. Hopefully save some money from making our own acrylic tank and possibly even getting a friend to help with stand building. We'll probably do our own custom halide light setup. I read a tutorial over at thepufferfourm.org. It seemed easy enough and man those are some powerful lights!
~Tales of Legendia~
"brother and sister"

...Forever and a day...

PUFFERZPWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111one
demented_lullaby
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Candice on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:38 pm

Very cool looking snails!
Visit my fishy photo albums at:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v321/Candice1972/
Candice
Member snail
Member snail

Postby Canadiancray on Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:20 am

There are some saltwater snails that could actually kill a person if you were to get stuck.
[URL=http://gtaaquaria.com/forum/index.php] Image
[/URL]
Canadiancray
Member snail
Member snail

Return to Marine snails