Handling Turbo fluctuosa/fluctuosus

Marine snails in this section.

Moderator: Board moderators

Handling Turbo fluctuosa/fluctuosus

Postby Donya on Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:06 am

Not what I usually say about snails, but...be cautious handling large individuals of this species unless you're holding them by the shell. I had one sucked onto my hand today for about 15 minutes and couldn't get it off until I convinced it to walk onto another object. They are capable of extreemly strong suction onto whatever surface they're attached to, so it becomes an issue of prying the foot free, which puts the snail at risk for injury. Needless to say they're quite friendly lol.

Turbo fluctuosa is this species:

Not all are blue (and the picture might be making it a little bluer than it actually is). There's a fair amount of color variation from tan/cream to dark brown to blue. The brown stuff is diatom algae, and the white area was brown a few minutes before the snail found it. The species is also listed in some places as T. fluctuosus, so I'm not sure which name is the accepted one.
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby luvfishies on Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:26 am

Turbos are awesome algae eaters.

I've never tried holding any Marine snails, though. Good to know for the future!
>>-)))o> skwij <--CLICK!
luvfishies
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby Donya on Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:59 am

I've never tried holding any Marine snails

Well you know how I am, it's just a good thing I didn't find coneshells before learning what they do LOL. I was giving the Turbo a going over to check for body parasites and it was so friendly I though "hey I'll let it sit on my hand since it wants to"...so I let it get a good suction established before I realized what it was doing :toomuch:
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby luvfishies on Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:59 am

Oh Donya, the thought of a conesnail stabbing you just sends shivers down my spine, and makes my innards shrivel up!

Folks, FW snails are pretty innocuous, but please do read up on Marines before you handle them! Most people who have Marine snails tend to have them for a purpose, not coz they're cute, and pretty much nobody would think to handle them!
>>-)))o> skwij <--CLICK!
luvfishies
Basic moderator snail
Basic moderator snail

Postby demented_lullaby on Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:45 am

Yeah some of those SW snails are freeeeaky. Most people use them as clean up crews.

Having said that turbos seem so lovely! When I have the sump running on my GSP tank when he's full marine I'mma get some turbos for sure!
~Tales of Legendia~
"brother and sister"

...Forever and a day...

PUFFERZPWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111one
demented_lullaby
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby supershaji on Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:12 am

demented_lullaby wrote:Having said that turbos seem so lovely! When I have the sump running on my GSP tank when he's full marine I'mma get some turbos for sure!

He'l probably eat em up... altho when i had my Ceylon Puffer initially in FW and had a big Apple anail in it, he didnt seem to harm it...

i've upgraded the specimen to a brackish one now and removed the Apple snails as i believe they dont prefer salinity.

all the best!

BTW, my puffer relishes smaill snails, the size of his eye... not the right forum to say it tho... but dats da cycle of life, eh?
>||Gone fishinG||>
supershaji
Little snail
Little snail

Postby snailboom on Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:54 pm

we have pest snail squishers and other puffer owners who feed pest snails, os no, it's nothing new.
If you bite and ravage each other, watch out--in no time at all you will be annihilating each other, and where will your precious freedom be then? (The Message G. 5:15).
snailboom
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby demented_lullaby on Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:28 pm

Eh I kept a nerite that I thought was too big for the puffer to bother with..woke up one morning and saw the operculum on the floor. I felt really bad :(
~Tales of Legendia~
"brother and sister"

...Forever and a day...

PUFFERZPWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111one
demented_lullaby
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Return to Marine snails