Icelandic snails

Marine snails in this section.

Moderator: Board moderators

Icelandic snails

Postby jonfr on Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:40 pm

I live near the ocen and there are a lot of snails in the beatch area. There are two types of snails. One has a colorful shell and is small, at least I haven't seen a big one yet. The other type is a big type of snail, with a single color shell.

I do have intrest in setting up a saltwater tank. But I do wonder if thease snail live in saltwater that is ~20°C becose the tempature in the ocen here is from 0°C to 5°C, maybe sometimes more or less.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Donya on Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:03 am

Regardless of species, if the snails are from a coldwater area, taking them into warmer temperatures will risk shortening their lifespan, possibley by a lot. This is a common problem with some coldwater species that make their way into the pet trade; they only survive a month or so in warmer conditions. If the snails' natural environment never approaches what the room temperature is, you would need a chiller of some sort on the tank to lower the temperature.
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby Pollux on Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:39 am

if you can't afford a chiller, could you keep them in the refridgerator? i don't know how you would get power in for a filter though... so it's probably a bad idea, i just thought it would be amusing to have an aquarium in your fridge lol. :D
Pollux
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Pollux on Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:46 am

o chillers are quite expensive. a new one starts at about $600 Australian dollars, which, if my currency converter was correct is about 32,600 Icelandic Krona.
Pollux
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Pollux on Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:48 am

what about keeping them outside in a pond or something? or would they get too cold? or even frozen?
Pollux
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby snailboom on Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:54 pm

A saltwater pond or not, it's not the right time of year (winter) for jonfr to be digging one! For now, research how to set up and maintain a saltwater tank (much more complicated than freshwater). Once you have access to the snails, you'll want to measure the specific gravity (salt content) of their water, too.
If you bite and ravage each other, watch out--in no time at all you will be annihilating each other, and where will your precious freedom be then? (The Message G. 5:15).
snailboom
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jonfr on Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:05 pm

I was checking for the snails and there was none to be found. So I guess they don't like the winters and problay hybranate or go deeper during this time of year. I will use the time to check if I can setup a saltwater tank and what it costs and etc.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jonfr on Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:21 pm

Here are pictures of Icelandic snails (This is just a webpage that I found on the internet). Thease are the small one that are most common in my area over the summer, however there is a bigger type here also. But I don't see it as often, it is also harder to see here.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Pollux on Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:59 pm

they are so beautiful!
Pollux
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jonfr on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:09 am

They are really colorful. They come in all types of colors.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Donya on Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:42 am

Hmmm...looks like some types of Turbaniids, although I don't recognise all of them. Any snails that change their range with seasonal conditions are probably not a good canidate for an aquarium since it's unclear what their environment requirements would be for part of the year.

what about keeping them outside in a pond or something?

Bad idea...very very bad idea. The conditions are not controlled enough. All it would take is one rain shower to throw the sg off and kill everything, let alone what would happen if animals encountered it. Temperature fluctuations would be too great as well. Saltwater tanks require a VERY controled environment.

if you can't afford a chiller, could you keep them in the refridgerator? i don't know how you would get power in for a filter though...

Um...this is worse than the pond idea lol. As a general rule, if it isn't food, don't put it in the fridge.
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby jonfr on Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:13 am

There are about 160 species of sea snails in the coastal areas around Iceland. I don't know what spices lives here during the summer. But over the summer the temperature can go up to 25°C. The ocean is colder, but I often see these snails on the cliff on the cost, above the sea levels. They problay also live in warmer ocean, but that is common with snails that live around Iceland.

This is a fresh water snail that lives in Iceland and can withstand a temperature up to 35°C if they live near hot springs.

jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby mvigor on Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:55 pm

This one is COOL!
mvigor
Parent snail
Parent snail

Return to Marine snails