My saltwater tank experiment

Marine snails in this section.

Moderator: Board moderators

Postby jonfr on Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:35 am

These snails can tolerate a lot of hard environment. I found two snails today and they where frozen when I did pick them up. Now there is one in good action, while the other is not active at the moment, but alive.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Pollux on Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:21 am

wow how frozen were they? icy or frozen solid or?
Pollux
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby badflash on Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:32 am

When I got my first batch of MTS, they were frozen, but not solid. When they warmed up they were fine.
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Pollux on Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:36 am

wow
Pollux
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jonfr on Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:41 am

Pollux wrote:wow how frozen were they? icy or frozen solid or?

They where icy, since they have saltwater in there systems they where able to withstand the cold that is ongoing at the moment. But it has gone down to -10C, at the moment there is -5C frost outside.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jonfr on Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:59 pm

I've dedicated that I am not going to setup a salt water tank. It appears it is too big of a problem.

I do have a water pumps that I need move to fresh water, but I did use them with salt water. How do I do that ?
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby morphriz on Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:49 pm

[quote="jonfr"]I've dedicated that I am not going to setup a salt water tank. It appears it is too big of a problem.

I do have a water pumps that I need move to fresh water, but I did use them with salt water. How do I do that ?[/quote]

Hey there Jonfr!

Vad roligt med en islänning på forumet!

To bad you've decided to give up. This is very oftern the case when people try marine tanks. They go in and realise that it's real hard and then give up. I encourage you to read more and try again. Snails put a lower bioload on the tank than fish and corals so you will be able to run you tank with live rock, cirkulation and water changes. The only piece of equipment you might have to get is a chiller since you are collecting coldwater species! A chille is the most expensive piece of equipment for your tank.

Try something simpler, rig your tank with circulation, LR, sand and a small skimmer if you can get it. Buy some interesting snails at your local store and try to keep them. You will get hooked, I promise!

But allways remember you are responsible for the life you have in your tank so read up. Marine forums like http://reefcentral.com, http://advancedaquarist.com (och http://www.saltvattensguiden.se om du orkar med oss svenskar) have guides and FAQs on how to set up tanks. You want to look for information on FOWLR tanks, Fish Only With Live Rock, just swap the Fish for Snail. :)
cheers
Mattias
morphriz
Member snail
Member snail

Previous

Return to Marine snails