Starting a salt water tank

Marine snails in this section.

Moderator: Board moderators

Starting a salt water tank

Postby jonfr on Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:07 pm

I have dedicated to give a salt water tank a second try. But what is the minimal size that I can use. I know that 12 liter tank is too small for long term use.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Pollux on Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:30 pm

are you still going to try it again jonfr?
Pollux
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jonfr on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:08 am

I am still going to try. I am going to start a warm saltwater tank soon. I am not sure when I can try a cold saltwater tank, since that requires a different setup then a warm saltwater tank.

I will problay get me a 100 liter tank, or about that size. Since I don't room for a bigger tank.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Donya on Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:25 pm

Missed this one, sorry. Anything around 100L is a great starting size, since the water volume will help keep the water temperature/quality/etc. stable. The first tropical saltwater tank I set up with my family a long time ago was around 100L, and that one was always really stable. The first one I set up myself later was around 18L, and it was much more difficult because I was constantly battling temperature and pH changes for the first several months. Larger is generally easier because of the increased water parameter stability, and anything in the 75-100L range is also small enough that the equipment needs should be pretty basic as long as the goal isn't corals. Sounds like a good start!
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby jonfr on Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:05 pm

Corals are way to expensive for me, but they also require a temperature of 27C to 31C and that might not fit the snails as you say in the other thread.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jonfr on Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:15 pm

I will start a salt water tank next month. If anyone has any pointers for me to use, please post them here.

thanks. :D
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby rpilla001 on Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:35 pm

It's been ages since I kept a salt water tank. Just be careful if you want to keep snails. Many eat live fish and can also be highly poisonous. I doubt you will find those at your LFS

I caught my stock off the beach on shallow reeefs. I once had an live olive snail that ate everything in my tank in less than a week. I never saw him once. He burrowed into the sand and would harpoon passing Sargent Majors.
Keep on Sliming
Sincerely
Rpilla
rpilla001
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jonfr on Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:02 am

All the snails that live in my area are cold sea snails. So they can't live in a 25C salt water tank that I plan to setup. But I plan to setup a salt water snail tank, with snails that eat algae and the green stuff. Not predator snails. I also might get few blue mussels and other type of animals to put into the salt water tank. :D
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jonfr on Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:12 pm

After some observations I now believe that the snails that live on the coastline where I live can withstand a 25C warm ocean. As the rock they live in often goes up to ~28C on a hot summer day.

I have started a small tank to prepare the first habitats of my salt water tank when it is ready.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Return to Marine snails