My salt water tank

Marine snails in this section.

Moderator: Board moderators

My salt water tank

Postby jonfr on Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:07 am

My salt water tank is going good. I did just re-arrange the rocks in it, to limit the sand spaces in it. I did also arrange the rocks in such manner that they create a bigger stream in the tank.

My tank is getting full of new baby snails, but the snails that I have appears to be breeding live snails really fast now. :D

I am starting to see more colors and color types then I did originally get from the cost line.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Donya on Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:51 pm

Great news jonfr! Which species are breeding in the tank? That's very interesting that new colors are showing up.
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby jonfr on Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:29 pm

I manly have Rough periwinkle, but I also got few Common periwinkle or alike species. But far as I can tell, the Rough periwinkle is breeding fastest at the moment.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Blötdjur on Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:52 pm

The Rough Periwinkle is a great snail. They are here in Sweden too, I put some on my hand and they tickled very much. This might be because they walk by using their one foot as two by parting it in the middle, or maybe they just tried to eat.

The Common Periwinkle makes eggs capsules. "A few microscopic eggs at a time are enclosed in small egg capsules that drift around in the water." (From here.) I don't think I have seen any, have you?

These periwinkles are easy to see. If you look around closely, maybe you can see this (link)? Or maybe you have already? I'm a bit curious about that snail.
Last edited by Blötdjur on Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blötdjur
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jonfr on Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:11 pm

I haven't seen any eggs yet. But this might be a wrong species analyze that I am doing, but I am trying to ID by using the shell.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Blötdjur on Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:33 pm

Maybe you missed my second link in my previous post, it's not easy to see because they are not underlined... I marked it with "(link)".

When I visited the sea, it seemed to only be Common Periwinkle and Rough Periwinkle above the water line, but I don't know about Iceland.
Blötdjur
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Pollux on Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:08 am

yay :D congrats jonfr, they must be happy if they are breeding :D
Pollux
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Annie Anderson on Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:09 am

What snail wouldn't be happy in that beautiful tank of yours Jonfr!
Annie Anderson
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jonfr on Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:55 pm

I am going to remove the sea-weed, as it is not growing and not thriving at all in the temperature in the tank. It is going to be replaced with a flora that can live in the temperature range of 25C.

The snails are doing good, but I do have issue with them going all the way to the top and get into accident when I have to take the lid of the tank. I have lost few snails because they have died when I put the lid on the tank, even if I do my best to prevent it. I am unsure what to do. I might remove the snails and place them back to the ocean. I am still thinking about it.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Blötdjur on Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:31 pm

My brown algae isn't growing very well either, it seems to be the same as yours. Perhaps it is disappearing quicker than it grows.

I think the Common Periwinkle does not go as high out of the water as the Rough Periwinkle. Also, the Common Periwinkles further down are often darker. I picked mine from the water and they are relatively dark.
Blötdjur
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jonfr on Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:00 pm

I think sea weed needs lower temperature or different setup then is in the tank. The snails have it good, they are multiplying on a great speed. :D
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Blötdjur on Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:52 pm

Yes, this species are pretty northern in it's distribution (although it exists on the Canary Islands), so it probably likes cold.

Here is distribution information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bladder_wrack

I have my light on many hours, algae tend to like light... Perhaps you can try to have your light on longer?

Here is a page on a site with lots of information:
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/brnalgae.htm

I would like to grow macro algae, they are nice :-) Perhaps I will buy a tropical species.

It would be nice to see photos of the small snails :-) I actually saw a small whitish oval ball floating around here, but maybe it came from the algae that I fed my snails with...
Blötdjur
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jonfr on Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:10 am

Then it likes the cold, not the heat it currently is in. That is the reason why it isn't growing.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby jonfr on Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:34 pm

All the brown algae did die. I have now replaced it with a algae that can survive in 20 to 28C in my tank.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Blötdjur on Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:47 pm

Now maybe you won't try to grow brown algae, but anyway...

My brown algae is doing much better in my window where it is colder and much better lighting. They were doing well when the temperature was a little above 20 C, now it is below 20 C.

I also read that brown algae needs iodine which can run out.

It would be interesting to hear what species of algae you have, and to see pictures :-)
Blötdjur
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Next

Return to Marine snails