Unknown Nerite

Marine snails in this section.

Moderator: Board moderators

Unknown Nerite

Postby Jollyfish on Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:43 am

Can you ID this Nerite? ZigZag? Scaled? Virgin? Did not resemble any other ZigZags or Scaled in the same shipment, nor have I had any Virgins with as wide a band as this one; I call him the "Patriot" since it is in fact red white and blue(not black) in color.

Need more info or photos to aid in positive identification? Just ask! Can also attempt to take video of the snail within the tank(assuming I can find him again).

Jollyfish
Hatchling
Hatchling

Postby Donya on Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:34 am

Doesn't look like Neritina squamulata (what I've seen called the "scaled nerite"), and the shell shape doen't match N. vittina since the spire isn't elongate. I'd be inclined from that photo to think it's an N. virginea with somewhat abnormal coloration. The patterning is highly variable in that species and I've seen large colored and colorless bands occur in strange places on the shells.

Where was it collected in terms of habitat and general location, and do you have a shot from the operculum-side with the snail closed?
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby Jollyfish on Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:43 am

As soon as I can locate him I will get additional photos of the operculum.

He was one of a shipment from the Polynesian or Hawaiian areas. He came out of Rurutu, Austral Islands via the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu on a research purchase, so I do not know his original collection locale or date. Sorry I cannot be more specific than that.
He did come in a shipment with other positively identified Virgins, as well as Zebras, Zigzags and Emeralds so I would assume he may very well be a Virgin.

For now I'll class him with the Virgins, until either a positive or corrective ID can be made when I get the photos of his underside.

Thanks for the reply Donya.
Jollyfish
Hatchling
Hatchling

Return to Marine snails