What kind of snail is this? (cerith maybe)

Marine snails in this section.

Moderator: Board moderators

What kind of snail is this? (cerith maybe)

Postby rainman on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:55 pm

Went to the aquarium store today and bought a couple nerite snails that had apparently just shipped in, on my request.

But these guys are clearly not nerites. I wanted nerites because they can survive in freshwater tanks, like the one I have, but the two I got seem to be saltwater.

What are these, and will they survive in my freshwater tank if I acclimate them from the saltwater bag they're currently in?

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd12/hashki1234/IMG_0743.jpg
rainman
Little snail
Little snail

Re: What kind of snail is this? (cerith maybe)

Postby Donya on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:52 pm

Don't try to acclimate a marine snail to freshwater. You'll stand a good chance of killing the snail or shortening its lifespan significantly if it does survive the initial acclimation. This applies to fully marine Nerite species as well, which are sometimes mistakenly sold as brackish of freshwater by less-knowledgeable stores.

The snails in the photo look to me like either a Cerithium or Clypeomorus species, both of which contain only marine species to my knowledge. However, I'm not 100% sure of that guess and Ceriths do have freshwater relatives, such as the Thiarids. If you don't know the salinity of the water they're in, take them back to the store ASAP and get a confirmation. If the snails came in saltwater from the supplier and were kept in saltwater at the store, don't put them in a freshwater tank.
"That's not a snail...it's a water goat!"--In loving memory of Eatith
http://pantheon.yale.edu/~dvq2/ - My Research
Donya
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby Lupin on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:48 am

Thanks for confirming it, Donya. :dance: I did also think they're ceriths when he posted them in the other forums I am a member of and advised not to place them in FW as well as I had never known ceriths to be in FW having had them before.
:dance: In love with goldfish and snails.

To know better about goldfish, you can find a lot of info on them in GAB.
:dance:
Lupin
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby rainman on Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:10 pm

Yes, thank you I was just making sure. (someone else asked me the Q, and I was just making sure that my findings were also correct.
fish come and fish go, but the a tank always seems to end up in the back room :)
rainman
Little snail
Little snail

Return to Marine snails