Starting a Saltwater Tank; Still a Snail lover!

Marine snails in this section.

Moderator: Board moderators

Starting a Saltwater Tank; Still a Snail lover!

Postby presquevoo on Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:48 pm

Hi everyone - it's been awhile since I've been on the forums - moved across country and had to adopt out my loves and break down my tank (in 2008). I'm finally going to start over, but this time, in saltwater.

Many of the posts here warn about various species of snails, so I want to do the right thing and get the right kind. I saw (what I was told was) a conch in a store the other day (he and a yellow sea cucumber are what convinced me to start up a tank again), and it was the first time I've encountered a marine snail in a LFS that seemed to have the personality that our apple snails have.

I loved my apple snails so much, particularly my canas, and am looking for a marine snail with a similar personality - one I could potentially hold and hand feed, and one that won't be toxic or stingy to me or others in my tank. It looks like, from my research online, the snail I met at the store was a fighting conch. Could he/she be the one for me?

What's been your experience with marine snails? I plan to stock my tank with corals and anemones and yes, that cucumber, but haven't decided on fish yet. It's a 37 gallon tank.

Anyone have friendly, charismatic, safe marine snails that they've fallen in love with?

Thanks in advance!

Kris

oh, and ps, I am not counting on getting that particular cucumber/snail, as I expect to be cycling the tank for at least 6-8 weeks! No worries! But when do you add snails? Do you have to add the life in a saltwater tank, like, type by type?
presquevoo
Member snail
Member snail

Re: Starting a Saltwater Tank; Still a Snail lover!

Postby presquevoo on Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:53 pm

Ah, just read in the "Marine Snail Tank Basics" that snails and sea cucumbers don't go together (they were together in the store, I think!) and that most should avoid anemones! Scrap those plans, then? Why avoid the anemones? Toxic stingers? Are they big eaters of other guys?

O, I love invertebrates so bad, but finding a good mix of friends with great personalities is gonna be difficult, no?
presquevoo
Member snail
Member snail

Postby pbgroupie on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:44 pm

Marine tanks aren't my speciality so I'm going to just say "Welcome back"! :wave:
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby presquevoo on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:22 pm

Thanks! Feels good to be back! Only wish I had some apple snail news to report. I have wondered one thing - how hard is it to find canas these days? Like, if I started another freshwater tank, how would I go about getting a cana? I'm not very good at telling the difference between the shells on canas and brigs, and I'm just gaga over cana personalities!

Also, let's say I wanted to house just two canas - what size tank is minimum? I used to have a 30g - very heavy bioload with goldfish and dojo loaches (dreamy little guys) and canas and brigs. Tank was totally overloaded. But, for two canas, and I know bigger is always better, but what is a good starting size?

And, you caught me - there's a reason I'd want two.

Maybe I should just go out and breed like the rest of the humans. I'd like that.
presquevoo
Member snail
Member snail

Postby pbgroupie on Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:21 pm

There are certain states where it is against the law to buy canas in the US (rice growing states) and you can't ship any across state lines of any US state. It would be very rare to find one in a pet store so you'd probably have to get one from someone who lives in your state. You could try here in the buy/sell/trade section, on AquaBid or craigslist. You're going to want at least 3-4 gallons of tank space for each one and they should be sexually mature by 4-6 months of age. HTH
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Return to Marine snails