Hideous snail movie massacre

Discuss and report snail abuse.
Everyone can post here...

Moderator: Board moderators

Hideous snail movie massacre

Postby SpongeEva on Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:02 pm

Watch a dwarf puffer attack a mystery? snail. This is horrible, and its supposed to show how smart these fish are!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o1fw9jtRNc
SpongeEva
Little snail
Little snail

Postby rpilla001 on Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:23 pm

Sorry, but some people buy snails to feed their fish. It's all part of life. For those of us that keep snails as pets, it is hard to watch.

Welcome aboard
Keep on Sliming
Sincerely
Rpilla
rpilla001
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Re: Hideous snail movie massacre

Postby CorineJ on Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:18 pm

SpongeEva wrote:Watch a dwarf puffer attack a mystery? snail. This is horrible, and its supposed to show how smart these fish are!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o1fw9jtRNc

That's the way life goes. Dwarf puffers eat snails.
CorineJ
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby jonfr on Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:03 am

In the arms race between predator and herbivores / omnivores the apple snail has pretty nice defenses. But the rule of live is that everything must eat something.

I guess if I need to clean a tank from a pest snail infection, I am going to get me a dwarf puffer.
jonfr
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby badflash on Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:24 am

Puffers are very smart, and very cautious. I would not dream of feeding my prize apples to them, but I have no issue with keeping mine fat on snails that are not wanted. They are very efficient at cleaning plants of unwanted pest snails and much safer than anything else around. They really love their work.

Think of them as the mouser of the aquarium world. Wonderful when the family cat takes out the rodent that is leaving droppings all over the kitchen. Not so nice when it gets the pet hamster. They are what they are. It is up to us to be sure they are used in a good way.

If you breed snails you may be faced with having to kill some due to failure to control the eggs. A puffer at least puts them to a good use.
badflash
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby SpongeEva on Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:54 am

You guys are right. I acted a bit quickly when I saw it. Still, it is hard for me even to kill pest snails... right now I have a fairly big infestation because I couldn't bring myself to destroy the egg masses.

Lately I have been picking them out for my betta who likes to hunt them. It still doesn't give me any pleasure knowing I have killed them indirectly though. :(

By the way, I love this site. I've been browsing it for ages but joined on impulse last night :D Thanks everyone.
SpongeEva
Little snail
Little snail

Postby I Make Gum on Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:33 pm

I had a snail problem too (ramshorn) My betta did nothing to the snails. He completely ignored them. Then cleaning didn't help to control the population and now I have dwarf puffers. Charlie (my betta) had to be moved to a separate tank and now I have *NO* snails at all.... Damned puffers overtook the whole tank.
Bad's analogy to the cat was a good analogy. But I still don't like to feed them snails or to kill the snails myself...such a conundrum!!!
I Make Gum
Member snail
Member snail

Postby Bottomfeeder on Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:16 pm

i hate live feeders, but theres no need to insult the puffer! he was doing what comes naturally. In areas of fishing pressure, puffers attack the tail end of the bait to avoid the hook. The guy on youtube is still an idiot for using live feeders tho
Happy Snails! :snail:
BF
Bottomfeeder
Little snail
Little snail

Postby Bottomfeeder on Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:24 pm

beautiful puffers tho
BF
Bottomfeeder
Little snail
Little snail

Postby Bottomfeeder on Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:27 pm

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=p ... mb=0&aq=f# THIS one was MUCH worse. The OP used a freakin Apple Snail! The Puffer Had to stick his whole face down the shell. That's called an ''Extra-Large Feed,'' similar to ppl who feed mice to Piranhas.
BF
Bottomfeeder
Little snail
Little snail

Return to Snail abuse