Ugggghhhhh!!!!!!Petsmart!!!!!!!!! part two

Discuss and report snail abuse.
Everyone can post here...

Moderator: Board moderators

Ugggghhhhh!!!!!!Petsmart!!!!!!!!! part two

Postby Amysnail on Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:53 pm

I went to another pet smart Sunday, If I see one I usually go in to see if any snails need rescuing. I walked back to the fish section, and the snails were kept with the cichlids!!!!!! I couldn't believe it. I talked to the guy working in the back, and he gave me some line about that's what cooperate wanted. I asked him if cooperate wanted them kept in a cold dark room with no food and freezing water because that's what I saw at another petsmart store... He then said that there was nowhere else to keep them. I asked what about the tetra tank? He had no answer. Then I took a closer look. All the shells had been picked clean. I was furious! I asked him did he know that the cichlids pick the poor snails to death? He had no answer. I got very upset, made a scene and asked him if petsmart didn't view snails as real pets? Without giving him a chance to answer I told him how cruel it was to put any animal in with another animal that they knew would kill it. I asked would they keep their mice in the same cage with the snakes? Still no answer. By this time I was tearing up looking at all those empty shells and the fat happy cichlids. My son started comforting me, and at 13 years old, my son had the polite grace to ask him if he could please get the dead ones out of the tank because it was upsetting his mom (me). I love my son. He is amazing. So by this time, I had obviously rattled the guys nerves as he starts fumbling around scooping out the empty shells and apologizing. Without asking I start reaching in the tank looking for any survivors. I think the guy knew better than to stop me at this point. Out of about twenty shells, I found four that looked like they were still intact. They were closed up, so I didn't know if they were alive or not. It didn't matter, I was not letting them go back to a certain death if there was a chance that they were alive. I told the guy to bag them up for me. This was Sunday. I got them home, got them in one of my tanks, and they stayed closed up. I started to think that I had been too late and they had starved for fear of coming out of their shells at the pet store. Well today they are all out of their shells, four days later! I was so happy they are alive and feel safe now. They have chunks missing out of their feet, big chunks! But at least they are alive and can start to heal. I will try to get some pics today, but they are very shy, closing up at the slightest surprise. They are beautiful. Two chestnuts and two wild types. I can't wait for you guys to see them!
My name is Amy, and I am addicted to apple snails.
Amysnail
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Re: Ugggghhhhh!!!!!!Petsmart!!!!!!!!! part two

Postby Chickadee on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:15 am

YOU GO GIRL!!! So happy you rescued those poor snails! Geez, at least my Petsmart doesn't do that. I think they had tetras in with their snails. Can't wait to see pics of your beautiful and lucky snailies!
Chickadee
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Amysnail on Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:36 am

I have been trying all day and night to get some good shots of them, but they must have been starving because they literally have been eating algae wafers and green beans since they opened up. So the only pics I can get right now is the four of them in a snail pile attacking some green beans. It's really cute though. I'll get the snail pile pics up in just a few minutes. Under normal circumstances I would be way too embarrassed to make a scene, but I just couldn't tolerate the blatant lies and ignorance this guy was spewing. I always say there are two things that will turn me into a raging lunatic, and those two things are cruelty to animals and cruelty to children. I'm normally very shy, but those two things really push my buttons. My son was laughing and telling his cousin today "My mom went ballistic in petsmart again" I'm just getting so frustrated that these sweet little snails are not seen as pets to these people...
Amysnail
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Amysnail on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:34 am

rescue 3.jpg
Finally open and getting comfy!
(130.22 KiB) Downloaded 2896 times
rescue 4.jpg
NOM NOM! I was so elated to see them start eating!
(189.6 KiB) Downloaded 2896 times
rescue 2.jpg
One of the chestnut rescues, note the chunks missing from her foot, and one big chunk from one side.
(140.34 KiB) Downloaded 2896 times
Amysnail
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Amysnail on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:40 am

rescue 6.jpg
One of the wild types, his poor foot is tattered. I can't imagine the fear they lived in. I'm so grateful to have them here with me.
(219.45 KiB) Downloaded 2897 times
rescue 5.jpg
Snail pile! My small ivory decided to greet them and join in on the action.
(224.25 KiB) Downloaded 2897 times
Amysnail
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby pbgroupie on Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:14 pm

May I suggest you write a letter or email, including pictures, and report the store to corporate? If you wish, let them know you've reported the abuse on the internet to other aquarists on forums where thousands of people can see how they treat their wet pets, and if necessary you will also call for a boycott of their stores if their policies don't change. See what kind of fuss you can stir up girlfriend! :yes:
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Postby Amysnail on Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:26 pm

I think that's exactly what I'll do, thank you pb. I've got high definition pics of every snail I've gotten from there. And I've gotten quite a few from petsmart because they were so mistreated that I couldn't stand the thought of them dying there. I have a habit of going into any petsmart I see so I can check to see if there are any snails that need a better home. One of the best examples is my indigo that had the large fissure. I got him because of the terrible untreated condition of his shell, and we all know how that turned out. I've been trying to figure out what to do on a larger scale to wake that cooperation up and get them to change something, and I think your idea is just the thing to do! Once again thank you oh wise pb! I don't know what we would do without you.
Amysnail
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Chickadee on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:10 pm

Aw, those poor tattered feet! It makes me so HOT when anyone keeps aggressive fish in with snails. Especially a so-called pet store who should know better! I'm with PB, and I think I said this in your other thread - definitely write the Corporate office! Surely there are some standards as to how they house and sell their snails. Poorly managed stores should be reported! I quit going to Petco & Petsmart years ago when I saw how they mistreated their guinea pigs. I only started going back to Petsmart recently because I had no other options and didn't want to deny my wet pets necessary supplies. At least the one in my town isn't as bad as the ones I witnessed while living in Phoenix.

Hugs to you, Amy, for giving those poor snails a good home. They are beautiful! :tiphat:
Chickadee
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby SnailDerp on Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:25 pm

Those poor snails. :( Thanks for standing up for them when most people would just look the other way. If you can you should talk with the store's owner/manager also - that might solve the problem more quickly, as it takes a long time for policy changes to make their way down the chain from corporate. But definitely contact the corporate offices too.
SnailDerp
Parent snail
Parent snail

Postby docbree on Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:29 am

I am so thankful that you saved those helpless creatures! I've gotten to the point where I can't even go to the fish section of Petco because of all the empty shells and miscellaneous operculums (thankfully, my local Petsmart does a good job with their snails). I wish I had your bravery and really admire you for standing up for them. I will definitely add my name to any letter you wish to write - or participate in a boycott if you decide to start one. :tiphat:
docbree
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Amysnail on Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:10 am

Thank you so much docbree, snailderp and chickadee. Docbree, although I don't know if its so much bravery as it is blind frustration and poor impulse control. I'm just so sick of these amazing animals being treated as if they aren't worth caring for. Just the thought of any creature being forced to live in fear or any horrible conditions makes my blood boil!!! I can't imagine how crazy I must have looked on my knees, both hands in their snail tank, fussing at the employee, crying and picking through the snail shells like a mad woman in a desperate attempt to find any that were still living so they could come home with me. Pretty soon people are going to start calling me that crazy snail lady...
Amysnail
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby ookami_meggle on Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:49 am

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Crabbers- ... 5411465061

This is my facebook page I started. It's a page for animal lovers to get together and discuss arguments we can use to persuade pet-stores to clean up there act, and start treating their pets with the care they deserve. I know the name is far from catchy, but I am still trying to think of a new name and figure out how to change it.
ookami_meggle
Leading snail
Leading snail

Postby docbree on Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:27 pm

So - after "bragging" that my local Petsmart "does a good job with snails," I am now forced to eat my words. Went in yesterday to buy some cat food and some puppy pads for a pregnant dog I am fostering. At first, I couldn't even find the snail tank as it had been almost completely filled with plants. Finally, I saw some shells peeking through the greenery - I guess the plants were for camouflage because every single shell was empty. :cry: '
Petsmart just needs to get out of the snail business. Maybe the entire live animal business. Just stick pet food and adoptions.
docbree
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby Amysnail on Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:20 pm

Uggghhh! I've been joining petition groups that are trying to get them to stop selling certain pets.
Amysnail
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Postby ookami_meggle on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:29 pm

I went into our petsmart a few days ago to see how their snails and hermit crabs were doing. The snails were in a very small section of the tank with one decoration which didn't offer them any place to hide from the bright lights shining down into the tank. They were all piled on top of each other and almost completely shut up into their shells. I took a picture but photobucket is acting up for me so I can't post it. Their crabs were pretty bad but at least their humidity and temperature were both up to around 82*/%.
ookami_meggle
Leading snail
Leading snail

Next

Return to Snail abuse