Bad snail care advice on e-bay

Discuss and report snail abuse.
Everyone can post here...

Moderator: Board moderators

Bad snail care advice on e-bay

Postby firefly on Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:43 am

Not sure if this goes here or in snail abuse or just where. I went to e-bay to see if they had the snails I wanted. I read through the how to care for your snail type stuff from three different sellers, and it was all pretty bad. One seller said that there was much misinformation about 'mystery snails" (p. diffusa/ aka brigs). They said people thought they would eat their plants, but that was false. Instead, the snails were eating algae off the plants, and that these snails would keep the aquarium spotless of algae. Also these snails would eat any uneaten fish food off the bottom of the tank, and in general, these snails would help keep the tank spotless and clean. I suppose if you don't feed them, then they won't poop and messy the tank.....

Another seller pretty much said the same thing, but also said it was recommended that you have one snail for every two gallons so a 50 gallon tank should have 25 snails. I think they missed that a 50gallon tank should have no more than 25 snails, and that would mean no fish or anything!!

And then, another seller who also said these snails pretty much live on algae and uneaten food, and keep your tank sparkling b/c they eat the leftovers (and help lower nitrates b/c they eat leftovers), said they make a great first pet. Why? b/c they are very tolerant of many conditions (i.e. they are hard to kill). Uh huh. Put a few snails in an uncycled tank, and see what happens. I bet your kid isn't so happy then!!

Emily
firefly
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Re: Bad snail care advice on e-bay

Postby pbgroupie on Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:14 am

Sadly, that's the misinformation that usually brings people here with problems they need solved. If you wish you can always message the seller and tell them to join here to get the correct information.
pbgroupie
Advanced moderator snail
Advanced moderator snail

Re: Bad snail care advice on e-bay

Postby firefly on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:53 pm

Yeah, but I think the seller already knows how to care for snails, and just wants to make them seem easy to they will sell.... The seller commented on how quickly they grow to golf ball size, and how fun it is to watch them grow. Also, the seller mentioned how much they like algae wafers, as seen in the photo (and showed a photo of a bunch of little snails chowing down on an algae wafer). This seller claimed not to be a professional breeder, but merely a pet owner who had too many babies and was selling those they had no room for (but I got the feeling they did this a lot instead of killing off the eggs....)
firefly
Veteran snail
Veteran snail

Return to Snail abuse